Avalon VLF blue line banding problem

Phanx11

We have an Avalon VLF 60 TFS that has a blue banding problem.
Blue lines (about 7 microns thick) 3.80mm apart are appearing on 16mil plates, vertically along the drum. Something that doesn't happen to any other plate that's 12mil.

​​​​​​I already tried to adjust the belt driven stepper motor sensor wheel on the carriage focus. Made sure that the wheel is 180° away from the wheel sensor once carriage is in the home position and the red diode is at half intensity.

Triedcleaning the vacuum holes and grooves in the drum, making sure vacuum is at -9 in Hg during hold.

​​​​​I know it has to be a focus or distance related problem, if i intentionally load a plate with a bend, then the area with the bend where it's off the drum has the stripes that don't need a magnifier to see.

Any experience or ideas with this?

​​​​​​
​​​​

Hi,

The phenomina is called the banding issue. Are you using 3.8mm chinise plates?

Have you done Magnification (Mag ) motor Alignment?
Clean the Mag motor first and do the Mag alignment on 12 mil plate following the procedure in the manual.. You will find thin white and black lines on the plate. Choose a strip between them with no lines and enter the value in Set up menu of Unidiag.
Also the issue might be related to the plate itself.

Incase of using Chinese brands, increase the processor tempreture or reduce the speed of the processor without sacrifying the highlight dots (1% to 5%).

Hope this will help!
​​​​​

Hi

I'll assume you mean 0.38mm.
Yes we are using genuine 0.38 mm Agfa energy elite plates from Germany.

No i haven't done a mag motor alignment yet. I will try this today.
The mag motor alignment, you mean the Xcalibur technical mag Array test?

I know with a 100% certainty that the issue isn't related to the plate or the processor. We have other VLF's that work with the same plates with no issues.

What do you mean by clean the mag motor first? Take out the whole assembly and clean the optics?

Hi,

The phenomina is called the banding issue. Are you using 3.8mm chinise plates?

Have you done Magnification (Mag ) motor Alignment?
Clean the Mag motor first and do the Mag alignment on 12 mil plate following the procedure in the manual.. You will find thin white and black lines on the plate. Choose a strip between them with no lines and enter the value in Set up menu of Unidiag.
Also the issue might be related to the plate itself.

Incase of using Chinese brands, increase the processor tempreture or reduce the speed of the processor without sacrifying the highlight dots (1% to 5%).

Hope this will help!
​​​​​

Last edited:
Hi

I'll assume you mean 0.38mm.
Yes we are using genuine 0.38 mm Agfa energy elite plates from Germany.

No i haven't done a mag motor alignment yet. I will try this today.

I know with a 100% certainty that the issue isn't related to the plate or the processor. We have other VLF's that work with the same plates with no issues.

What do you mean by clean the mag motor first? Take out the whole assembly and clean the optics?

So do it!

Take the cover off and look inside the imager from the Top. You will find a lense inside that need to be reached and cleaned. The lense is called Magnification Lense. Alignment should be done on the 12 Mil plate.

Have you ever worked on the imager? Then, What did you align on the Focus belt as you mentioned?
If not why not calling an experienced Tech.

Last edited:
Ok

Yes i've worked on this imager before. I think i i just had a problem understanding what you wrote the 1st time. Cause cleaning the motor and cleaning the optics are two different things. So i had to ask.

On the carriage focus belt i've aligned the encoder wheel with the slot. This slot should be 180° away from the sensor when the carriage is at home position sensor. In my case is was something like 95° rather then 180.

if we are to call "experienced" tech's all the time, then what would be the point of places like this forum?

So do it!

Take the cover off and look inside the imager from the Top. You will find a lense inside that need to be reached and cleaned. The lense is called Magnification Lense. Alignment should be done on the 12 Mil plate.

Have you ever worked on the imager? Then, What did you align on the Focus belt as you mentioned?
If not why not calling an experienced Tech.

Last edited:
Ok

Yes i've worked on this imager before. I think i i just had a problem understanding what you wrote the 1st time. Cause cleaning the motor and cleaning the optics are two different things. So i had to ask.

On the carriage focus belt i've aligned the encoder wheel with the slot. This slot should be 180° away from the sensor when the carriage is at home position sensor. In my case is was something like 95° rather then 180.

Did you understand what to do now?

The assembly called Mag Motor Assembly. It comes with a Lense, sensor, and a motor. There is no cleaning should be done on the motor. You should clean the lense Only.

​​​​​​While removing the Top cover clean the GLV as well.

You have work to do!! Get on with it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back