Beginner's question: Perfect binding in very low quantities

DavidW

Hello, I'm new on this forum. I have a couple of language books I'm working on that I'd like to self publish. I'm planning to print them about A4 size using a laser printer (B/W, with perhaps a few color pages.) I only expect to sell perhaps a few copies a week (the books are for learning Farsi), although some other books are in the works too, and I may be selling 20+ books/week in the near future (small potatoes for you lot, I'm sure..). As the appearance of the book isn't paramount, I was planning to use spiral binding, as the cost of the equipment required is very low, and the result is acceptable. However, I understand perfect binding might be an option also. I see sites selling simple devices for less than $100 US that just heat up a glue strip, and more expensive larger (desk and standing) machines starting at several thousand that clamp the pages, apply the glue, then the cover. There are also lower cost machines manufactured in China. How do the results of these different machines compare? How does the cost per book work out?

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction for what kind of equipment I should be considering, any recommended models, or perhaps a good reference where I could learn more. I live in the UK btw.

Many thanks, any help greatly appreciated

Hello, I'm new on this forum. I have a couple of language books I'm working on that I'd like to self publish. I'm planning to print them about A4 size using a laser printer (B/W, with perhaps a few color pages.) I only expect to sell perhaps a few copies a week (the books are for learning Farsi), although some other books are in the works too, and I may be selling 20+ books/week in the near future (small potatoes for you lot, I'm sure..). As the appearance of the book isn't paramount, I was planning to use spiral binding, as the cost of the equipment required is very low, and the result is acceptable. However, I understand perfect binding might be an option also. I see sites selling simple devices for less than $100 US that just heat up a glue strip, and more expensive larger (desk and standing) machines starting at several thousand that clamp the pages, apply the glue, then the cover. There are also lower cost machines manufactured in China. How do the results of these different machines compare? How does the cost per book work out?

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction for what kind of equipment I should be considering, any recommended models, or perhaps a good reference where I could learn more. I live in the UK btw.

Many thanks, any help greatly appreciated

Spiral binding gives you a secure bind and I expect you could buy a basic manual binding kit for a £1,000 or so. Don't confuse spiral with wire (or wire-o) as wires are trickier to get consistent with manual machines, and the wires will deform if crushed. If you are posting your books, that last point is an important consideration.

I don't have any experience of the "glue strip" type binding, but I suspect they're more for binding "internal" documents, rather than producing sellable products.

The basic desk top perfect binding machines will produce an reasonable result if you are extremely careful about your quality control. They have no milling or notching capabilities, but the better quality ones have a spine roughener, which is better than nothing. They also have no side glueing capability. Perhaps the biggest drawback is the time taken between glueing and clamping. On an industrial machine, that's milliseconds. On a desktop machine that can be seconds, depending on how "on the ball" the operator is. PVA glue temperature will drop very quickly, reducing the strength of the bind. IMO these basic perfect binders don't produce a commercially acceptable product, but are OK for copy shop use. One of the best ones is the Fastbind (from Ashgate automation in the UK). Be careful with Chinese made machinery, as the quality varies enormously. Make sure you buy from a reputable supplier who will take care of you.

Also consider is whether you want the book to lay flat. Spiral bound books will, perfect bound (even with PUR) will not. Finally, remember that if you want these to be stocked by libraries, they must have a (printed) spine. You can't do this with standard spiral binding. It may be possible to make up half canadian covers as you would with wire, but I'm not 100% sure.

You may find that getting a commercial printer to quote is worthwhile, as several of us are set up for these types of ultra short runs now. PM me if you want more info (I work for a commercial printer).

I hope that helps a bit.

I can second lfelton's comments. We, too, have the ability for short run perfect bound work like this. We even have a great little perfect binder that side glues, notches (grinds) and scores the covers - with such simple setup we often bind 20 or so copies for the trade.

Ask around - you may be surprised.

WW

for such short runs of regular work, you may be better of in the short term talking to a couple of your local digital/jobbing printers. Explain to them the sort of volumes you are expecting and they may be willing to bind these books for you at a discounted rate (wiro or perfect).

Establishing such a relationship may benefit you in the long term as when your book takes off and orders increase, you may well be looking at volumes more suitable for digital/litho printing. With a relationship already established the transition from home produced to a commercial product is likely to be far more smoother and easier.

just my two-penneth worth.

Why make it that hard on yourself? You shouldn't have to worry about buying a piece of equipment, learning to use it AND writing the books and shipping them yourself. Also, what will you do, if for some reason, something happens and you end up stuck with a piece of equipment you no longer need? An online merchant would be your best choice definitely, that way you can handle the writing of the books and let them take care of the rest. There are several online companies that will print short runs (even one at a time) of books, bind them (most offer spiral, saddle stitch and perfect binding) and handle the payment from the customer and the fulfillment and shipping of the order. They'll also put the books on Amazon for you.

Last edited:
small perfect binders look like these

Attachments

• uchida.JPG
    uchida.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 211
  • cap2_big.jpg
    cap2_big.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 221

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back