Best way to explain how to Bleed your Artwork to Clients or Designers?

Duncan Hyde

Hi Everyone,

I keep getting this issue about having to explain to Clients and Designers what Bleed is, and how to prepare your document with Bleeds and the reasons for this requirement.

Is the a PDF document or video out there to explain this requirement in layman's terms???

I could also post it on our website...

Thanks!

Duncan

Hi Everyone,

I keep getting this issue about having to explain to Clients and Designers what Bleed is, and how to prepare your document with Bleeds and the reasons for this requirement.

Is the a PDF document or video out there to explain this requirement in layman's terms???

I could also post it on our website...

Here's our attempt to do it on one page:

http://www.stroudprint.co.uk/sp_resources/bleed_explanation.pdf

Suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

A template is not a bad idea. I have tried all kinds of verbiage to educate or inform customers, but often wind up sending them a "sample" PDF showing trim marks and bled (bleeded?) elements on the page within the full media area.
Frustrating that even very good web designers can't grasp the concept, having never put a pen or knife to actual paper.

This is great. Now, does someone have anything explaining resolution (the lack of), and why pictures grabbed off the internet are not suitable (copyright, etc.)?

Simplest explanation:
Bleed = $
No bleed = $$$$$$$$$

You cannot change someone's behavior if they gain nothing from the change. If documents without bleed get billed at a higher rate than documents with bleed then you are providing a compelling argument for adding bleed.

If your organization is unwilling to charge for the time that it takes you to correct the customer files, then, perhaps, it would be best to run what you're given. If the client has to live with their mess, then that may be compelling to them.

Last edited:
Bleed

Bleed

Simplest explanation:
Bleed = $
No bleed = $$$$$$$$$

You cannot change someone's behavior if they gain nothing from the change. If documents without bleed get billed at a higher rate than documents with bleed then you are providing a compelling argument for adding bleed.

If your organization is unwilling to charge for the time that it takes you to correct the customer files, then, perhaps, it would be best to run what you're given. If the client has to live with their mess, then that may be compelling to them.

Wow! I Like this one,

But been there tried that and then other printers will fix the file and not charge just to get the business, not good practice I say to preserve our Industry Standards!

thxs Duncan

We like to rub their nose into it untill they learn!!!!!!!!

Works with the dog!

A

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back