best way to re-sensitize chrome dampening roller?

i will give this a try on monday morning.
yeah, myself and the other operator on this press hate the fact that they are ceramic instead of a more conventional chrome. not sure why man roland chose this route on this model.
we always get the "oh you have ceramic? you poor bastard" from people when we try to sort out dampening issues lol.

Yeah, but ceramic will carry the water better if maintained.
and, the ceramic is not a carcenigenic process like Chrome so good move environmentally, and per my studies...I've had ceramic water pan rollers in press for 5+ years where my chrome will start to "rust" or deteriorate after about 6 months.

Lastly, Ceramic is very cost competitive as many, many suppliers even outside of the graphic arts can spray or apply it on. Chrome tanks are expensive to maintain, and environmentally challenging for any business that has to use them.

An amazing supplier is Hadronics in Cincinnati, OH USA. Call them and discuss.
Dedicated to graphic arts and web presses.

If the ceramic roller is sensitized to a degree that it is inking up then your best bet would have your local roller company do this procedure because it will involve hydrochloric or phosphorus acid gum and water.

A mixture of fountain concentrate and water at 50/50 should do a good job of cleaning and conditioning your pan rollers (ceramic or chrome). If not, you might not be running the best fountain solution.
Why European press manufactures like ceramic rollers is a long, peculiar story.

If embedded ink is the problem, then you need to get rid of it first. Dried ink will attract ink. I am not familiar with ceramic rollers, but perhaps a strong solvent to dissolve the dried imbedded ink and then recondition the roller to repel ink when wet.

Tomtech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back