Building an icc for DocuColor 8000 using freeflow

The CMYK Separation Parameters in ProfileMaker will be key in generating a profile for the 8000. Too much GCR will yield peppering, to little may yield un-neutral grays because of the amount of CMY. I tend to recommend fairly high amounts GCR in the profile when profiling for the 8000.

Marc

I may be having a similar issue

I may be having a similar issue

Too much GCR will yield peppering, to little may yield un-neutral grays because of the amount of CMY. I tend to recommend fairly high amounts GCR in the profile when profiling for the 8000.

Marc

I am new to color management and may be having a similar issue. What is meant by peppering and what is a high amount of GCR?

If peppering is the same thing that is happening to our machine I was told that it was a humidity issue.

Thanks

Peppering is when black dots replace cmy dots to product a gray component. High amounts of GCR replace CMY with K - sometimes you can see this in highlight and mid-tone areas of an output. GCR is built into all CMYK profiles since the function of a profile is to separate color from RGB or CMYK into device CMYK. What exactly is wrong with the output on your machine?

Marc

Issues

Issues

What exactly is wrong with the output on your machine?

What is happening is not peppering. It is probably a hardware issue. The printed sheet looks like small bubbles or specs. The machine is at a satellite office so I dont know a lot about it except that its basically an office copier. I made it to this thread because we are looking at replacing it with a DC 8000.

Try to make guys at the satellite office to keep 22-27C and 40-60%RH around the printer 24\7 and you will see magic. Anyhow you need stable printing machine before profiling. Even GCR won't help you if printer is unable to print the same tomorrow.

jfryw - I tend to see this with heavy coverage on cheap stock. Are you printing with good paper? Also it can be a humidity/temperature thing. If you are running a light stock, a cheap and nasty fix can be printing it at a slower speed ie. telling the printer it's using heavier paper. However be prepared to adjust the decurl and if you don't got decurl then you're sunk.

just is absolutely right when he says it's a waste of time profiling an inconsistent machine, like making a mark in the shifting sand, no good. Besides, it won't help with the speckling problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back