Building Insurance - How do you list your shop?

Zwicker Press

We have moved into a new building (we lease space), and now that the year is up, the building owner's insurance company wants an updated list of tenants and the type of businesses.
He originally said we were a commercial printer and the rates went through the roof.
We run digital printers and small offset duplicators.
I think we should be listed as a "copy shop" or something like that, otherwise we're in the same category as the huge print firms with large presses and centralized vacuum/chemistry systems, which would pose greater risk.
So, my question is how do you list your shops, and are there set categories with guidelines recognized nationally for insurance purposes which differentiate between say a Kinkos and The Boston Globe.

I've been looking online, and haven't found much.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Yep yep yep. This will most likely start at the government for your locality. When you applied for a business license (I assume you need one), you would have been put into a category. From that point you got etched in stone at to what your business provides. I would be very careful with this. If something were to happen within the property you are leasing and your insurance company opens up a discovery then they may throw you under the bus and claim inaccurate indentification of your business which may create a serious situation. In the case of my Bindery, there were no categories that fit me so I was put under as a service provider. My thought is if you eliminate the Offset and everything that surrounds it then you could revisit the situation but otherwise you either fall in line with the rules or roll the dice.

Good Luck,
John Weaver

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back