can DC2045 or 2060, print glossy print equal to DC5000?

VigiCon

Hi,
We are impressed by the glossy print of Docucolor 5000, but its beyond our affordability. The second choice is either DC2045 or 2060. Can somebody guide us wether these older models give the same glossy print as DC5000? Other features of DC5000 are not more important to us. We need print quality and gloss on 300gms stock only. Please guide us.

Regards,
Nasir

The second choice is either DC2045 or 2060. Can somebody guide us wether these older models give the same glossy print as DC5000?
We need print quality and gloss on 300gms stock only. Please guide us.
I haven't seen the output of the 5000 but I have a 2060 and it certainly has that glossy look that I think all Xerox fuser oil machines suffer from/are blessed with depending on how you, and more importantly your clients, view it. It's a big hit with my clients.
As for running 300 gsm, well it's just supposed to do 280 gsm though I've on occasion squeezed 300 gsm through. Not sure it's a good idea to do that all the time, maybe someone else can chip in on that?

We have a 2045, 2060, and 6060 and while I haven't compared them to a 5000, they do give a glossy look as you would expect off of a fuser oil based machine, as stated previously...IMHO they look better in THIS ASPECT than the "matte" oil-less newer machines like the 700.

I will also say that if you have to print on 300gsm paper then the 6060 is spec'd to run up to 300gsm, whereas the 2045 and 2060 are only spec'd to do up to 280gsm. You should be able to find a secondhand 6060 relatively cheap, we did about 2 years ago. In addition a 6060 is less time consuming to maintain on the user-end, with user replaceable/cleanable corotrons and fuser webs, as well as much less drum problems (I still do a lot of this type of maintenance on the 2045/2060, but unless the techs authorize it they won't let you do this and its a slight pain and time-sucker versus the 6060). We have run up to 120# cover weights on all 3 machines and the 6060 usually will give you decent quality on this kind of stock, though keep in mind that you start to run into trail-edge deletions so you can't push the image size spec too hard with heavy coverage. The 2045/2060 will run 300gsm paper in the sense that you can usually make it feed it and it will come out the end of the machine...but it is not always sellable quality unless its really low coverage. Sometimes I've had to fudge the paper settings to make it look better but I wouldn't recommend it if that's all you plan on running, as you will experience a lot of downtime/quality issues if you buy a 2060 and that's all you use it for.

Me personally, I think given your intended application the 6060 is a better buy, not to mention buying into a slightly newer/more reliable platform. I'm not sure what the price difference is between a 2060 and 6060, but I think its safe to say that its probably worth the extra money to actually have Xerox support you when you run 300gsm paper than to have to "fudge" the 2060 and go through fusers constantly and be down all the time...not to mention to being up more frequently just in terms of user maintenance...the 2045/2060 are very sensitive to temperature/humidity level changes in an environment so you have to clean/replace the corotrons relatively frequently dependant on the seasons/climate of your area.

Thanks Friends,
I am really grateful for such a detailed guidance. I want to know one more thing, whether can we stop the oil when we don't need it? I mean when we need a matte print.
Regards,
Nasir

Thanks Friends,
I am really grateful for such a detailed guidance. I want to know one more thing, whether can we stop the oil when we don't need it? I mean when we need a matte print.
Regards,
Nasir
That's the one thing you can't do and the very reason all those in favour of matte prints only love trashing these machines. I doubt there is any machine that can give you from the mattest to the glossiest look.

Hi,

We have a 2045 which prints glossy on 300gsm very well. We do find it is better to use Xerox recommended paper (or equivalent, we use Colour Copy).

I wouldn't try to remove the fuser oil to create a matte effect, the fuser unit will dry out and Xerox will not be happy and probably charge you for a new unit.

I'm surprised you have the option of buying a 2045. I thought they were all destined for the scrapheap these days.

I wouldn't try to remove the fuser oil to create a matte effect, the fuser unit will dry out and Xerox will not be happy and probably charge you for a new unit.

I think you'll get massive jamming, fuser web coming out and pushing fingers into the fuser roller creating wonderful grooves etc. even before the unit has dried out entirely. I've been there but it was not because I was trying to do matte

Thanks Friends,
Regards,
Nasir

The 6060 doesn't use quite as much oil as the 2045, and I am fairly certain that I've had the techs adjust the amount of oil that it uses so that it better matches the 2045/2060 that we already use. What I noticed on the 6060 when we had it first installed...before I had it adjusted was that the prints would go "matte" as it was running...after the first couple sheets or so, which I would interpret as its a "possibility" if you don't mind waiting for Xerox to come out when you had a job like this, but I guess I have never been approached by customers that actually prefer a matte finish.

If you choose to use Xerox paper (we don't!), then according to Xerox's website the heaviest weight that they sell that is recommended for running through a 2045 or 2060 is 100# cover, whereas the 110# cover is recommended for the 6060..

Removing the fuser oil from the fuser will not make your prints matte, it will just cause the heat roll to eat the fuser web...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back