Can I get some advice from those running ArtiosCAD on a Mac

BlacknTan

I'm trying to find out if I can use a Mac in my flexo environment...

I'm currently using the Creative Suite, Strata 3D, Artios Studio and ArtiosCAD. Ideally, I would love to use a Mac. All our clients supplying me with artwork are using Macs. However, the rub seems to be ArtiosCAD. I understand that I can run ArtiosCAD within VMWare or Parallels. I've used bootcamp with other projects, but I've never used VMWare or Parallels. I am more than willing to give it a try. A key feature I need is the database (library files, dimensions, personnel) within ArtiosCAD. Will this still work under VMWare and Parallels?

Currently, there are some links between Illustrator and ArtiosCAD, in a Windows environment. If I run ArtiosCAD under VMWare (or Parallels), would those links also work, or would I also need to be running the Windows version of Illustrator?

Thanks for your help!

I'm currently running Artios on VMware on my macbook pro. works great! the databases and everything work just like you were on a normal PC. Just make sure you go through and check your system settings for what you are allocating to the windows install to make sure that you have given it enough to run, but not too much that it bogs down the mac.

as for the links between Artios and Illustrator, I'm not sure. I don't utilize those, hopefully someone else can help with that.

Just to agree with Alith, you'll be fine virtualizing with VMware. I run windows 7 on my quad core iMac with VMware. I run Artios and iCut on that virtual machine and they're plenty snappy. I give the VM 2 processor cores and 4gb of ram. Every once and a while I notice it on the mac side, but in general it's painless.

That's fantastic, thank you! I've been the green light to pursue a Mac option, however I was afraid ArtiosCAD would be a deal breaker.

I'm not positive how important the links are with Illustrator, I'm still working my way through the programs. But this is great news.

Alith7 and kansasquaker, thank you so much for your help...I greatly appreciate it!

don't forget that VMware does NOT include a copy of Windows. you will need to get that on your own. I would recommend Ebay as a good place to get Win 7.

Buy an OEM copy of Windows7UE, download a demo of vmware and parallels and see what you get the best performance out of. I doubt you'll see much if any difference in performance with a fairly lightweight app like ArtiosCAD. Whichever one you like best for interface reasons is probably the best choice.

I've used parallels for years after switching from vmware.

Thank you...I'll take a look at the different interfaces and explore the differences. I've had experience running bootcamp, but I know this is a whole new animal. So much to learn...

In regards to the Windows 7 license, that shouldn't be an issue, our IT department should have plenty of licenses. BUT, I'll double-check!

Thank you...I'll take a look at the different interfaces and explore the differences. I've had experience running bootcamp, but I know this is a whole new animal. So much to learn...

In regards to the Windows 7 license, that shouldn't be an issue, our IT department should have plenty of licenses. BUT, I'll double-check!

Sooo much smoother now. both VMware and parallels run like programs, so you switch to "windows" just like you would switch between Illustrator and Indesign.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back