can i number on my c1085

i was wondering how i can consecutive number on my konica c1085 w/ external fiery
either single pages or 2,3,4 part ncr. do i need a specific program?
thank you

If you are using InDesign you can create numbers in excel then use the date merge plug-in...within indesign to add the numbers....then you can create a merged indesign file or creat a pdf file to print from
in indesign its under window - utilities - data merge

hope this helps

Several numbering options were mentioned on this forum in another thread for VDP. Don't remember the title of it though.
I know that I saw a link to this software and It works 'nice' for me for numbering projects. Easy Numbering

Other software mentioned was Auto-Number Pro, FusionPro and XMPie.

If you want to number 2/3/4 part NCR then a data merge is probably the best option.

If the PDF you want to number is just a single page you could also use simple InDesign page numbering. Place the artwork on the master page, add a text box wherever you want your number to show, click into the text box and go Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number. From there create as many pages in the doc as you need copies. You can set what number you want the page to start from by right clicking on the page thumbnail in the Pages window then select "Numbering & Section Options".

Great results with Number Press

Great results with Number Press

I've used Number Press for a few years now and it does everything I ask of it. It was under a hundred bucks and took a few jobs to learn but I really depend on it now. I can pick from any font, change size, angle, color (even make custom color from chart), start from any number at any position, forward or reverse, can skip numbers, I've done up to 16 on a sheet and can handle many more. Numberpress.com created by Praetor software, give it a look.

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can number in that, and it's easy to do. It's had this feature since maybe 7 or 8---at least five years or more. Not sure why people overlook all the power and stuff you can do with Acrobat Standard and Professional.

It's not only possible, but I recommend it! Please place your cash in the tip jar!;)

As describe above: Indesign with a data merge from a spreadsheet of numbers is exactly how I do it.

Google for a font called CrashNumberingGothic too. That font at a point size of 20 looks exactly like the crash number wheels, and it's free. Of course you can use any font you want, but it's handy be able to replicate crash numbering.

One big tip is to have everything but the numbering text on master page(s). This way it just applies a master instead of duplicating everything a million times. Merging and printing goes exponentially faster.

I even wrote a fast script for OpenOffice Spreadsheet that lays out the numbering for me. It asks for a start number, end number, and number up. This way if you were numbering 1000 buckslips 3-up on 8.5x11, it would generate a spreadsheet with three columns: "1-334" "335-667" and "668-1000". (I might be off by one in the example, but that's why I wrote the script.).

I'd be willing to provide my script if there is interest, it should be easily converted to excel, (or OpenOffice is free)... given the usual: "No warrantee, not suitable for any purpose, not liable if your computer starts a nuclear reaction"... and no one made fun of my coding. I'm a printer, not a coder.

It's not only possible, but I recommend it! Please place your cash in the tip jar!;)

Thanks, Erik...I know you CAN number in Acrobat with some options. Maybe Craig was pointing out that you couldn't do exactly what was needed in this case.

I think Craig was having fun with this, as was my reply to Craig. Yes, I have also numbered in Acrobat Pro when I HAD TO. It is time consuming and exhausting to set up the numbering from within Acrobat. It is more intended to be used for standard page numbering, not customized numbering where you have the ability to change the exact position, color, rotation, etc. And I believe from memory is only good for 1 position? With my Number press program I can print and duplex 5 part NCR, 2-sided, multiple positioning, in whatever color I want and just on the front of the form if needed. There are many ways to number, I opt for easy=better. P.S. I never said you couldn't number in Acrobat, but why would you want to? What painful steps it is to paste all those pages to make a how many whatever document? It is more intended to add page numbers to an already-made, multiple page document.

thank you for all the responses, we have downloaded the demo for number press and it looks like it is exactly what we were looking for. once we use it awhile i will post a review

I am willing to bet it will take care of most of your numbering needs. As a bonus it also does variable data, but not something I've used much. If you come up against a problem you can shoot me an email and I'll respond back. There are some tricks I've discovered while learning the program. [email protected]

Thanks, Erik...I know you CAN number in Acrobat with some options. Maybe Craig was pointing out that you couldn't do exactly what was needed in this case.
Sorry dpolglaze, I was yanking your chain! Also try Fusion Pro, we use it and it will give you a ton of flexibility, including barcodes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back