Can you identify this train?

gordo

Maybe you a into trains or now someone who is?
The train appears in the "Trans Europe Express" video by Kraftwerk - viewable on YouTube. Here's a link that might work: YouTube - kraftwerk - trans europe express
Below are some stills from the video. The top 2 pix and last pic is of a full-sized train. The other pics are of a model. The train appears powered by a large propellor in the rear. Appears to be from the mid 1930s. Any ideas? thx, gordo
Mysterytrain.jpg

The first high-speed streamliner in GermanyGermany

Germany , officially the Federal Republic of Germany , is a country in central Europe....
was the "SchienenzeppelinSchienenzeppelin

Schienenzeppelin was an experimental propeller driven railcar designed by German aircraft engineer Franz Kruckenberg in 1929...
", an experimental propellerPropeller

A propeller is a device which transmits power by converting it into thrust for propulsion of a vehicle such as an aircraft, ...
driven single car, built 1930. On June 21 1931 it set a speed record of on a run between BerlinBerlin

Berlin is the capital city and a state of Germany....
and HamburgHamburg

Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany and with Hamburg Harbour, its principal port, Hamburg is also the second larg...
. In 1932 the propeller was removed and a hydraulic system installed. After that, the Schienenzeppelin made in 1933

http://www.modellbahn.com/kruckenberg.html <<<< Picture at link

Do I get a prize ? :D

Last edited:
The first high-speed streamliner in Germany [snip]
Do I get a prize ? :D

WOW! Thank you very much!
A prize...hmmm, well you did get the satisfaction of solving a mystery that has vexed me since the late 70s. Also, you knew something I didn't - and I'm likely older than you. That's pretty good, and, bonus, I won't be charging you for that opportunity for self satisfaction. Also, it may be a great idea to present to your boss as a subject for your company's self promotion pieces...that's gotta be worth at least three atta-boys.
If nothing else, I might try and weave you into my quality in print blog.
So, all in all, it appears that you've done very well indeed!

thx again gordo
my print blog here: Quality In Print

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back