Canadian 'Zip Code' Dilemma Solved?

gordo

Canadians who travel in the USA, will inevitably find themselves at a gas station, trying to pay with a Canadian credit card, only to be prompted to enter a USA zip code. Entering random numbers like 99999 or other combinations, all end in failure so we end up stomping over to the kiosk to declare that they do not have a zip code as we're are from Canaduh. The attendant - behind thick bullet proof glass - rolls their eyes at yet another fuelish Canuck, presses a couple of buttons, demands your credit card, and orders you to go fill up the tank and come back and pay.

However, one attendant in Washington says that we DO indeed have a zip code. Apparently we just have to take the three numbers that are in the postal code of the credit card billing address in the order that they appear, and then add two zeros onto the end in order to bypass the US zip code. So if your postal code is V8S 3Y1, you would enter: 83100 for the zip code and avoid all the hassles.

This theory has worked at Safeway gas stations in Washington and Montana. I'd love to hear if it's worked for you in other states and stations.

gordon p

Gordo:

<snip>... so we end up stomping over to the kiosk... <snip>

Stomping in Birkenstocks is not good for the sole.

(So, how do we in the lower 48 enter a postal code whilst visitin' Canada?)

Regards,

Gordo:
<snip>... so we end up stomping over to the kiosk... <snip>
Stomping in Birkenstocks is not good for the sole.
(So, how do we in the lower 48 enter a postal code whilst visitin' Canada?)

(For those who don't know me - I only wear sandals :)

AFAIK, the gas stations up here don't ask for a postal code. Just swipe your card and fill 'er up. Very cordial. New credit cards now have an embedded chip with a pass code - like debit cards. Swipe the card, punch in the pass code and your good to go.

best, gordon p

Not at every gas station, Gordon.
For instance, last Sunday I filled up my Trailblaser's tank at ESSO gas station in Toronto and paid attention on a message :
"Attention to US travellers - our pumps do not accept US Credit cards, only Canadian CR will be processed. Fill up and go to the cashier to pay inside."
Canucks are more credulous that Yankeeeee! :)

Not at every gas station, Gordon.
For instance, last Sunday I filled up my Trailblaser's tank at ESSO gas station in Toronto and paid attention on a message :
"Attention to US travellers - our pumps do not accept US Credit cards, only Canadian CR will be processed. Fill up and go to the cashier to pay inside."
Canucks are more credulous that Yankeeeee! :)

Doesn't surprise me. The last time I was in Toronto it felt more like an American than Canadian city. ;-)

best, gordon p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back