canon ipf 8000 printing problems

V

Visualaid

A customer gave me 189 mb pdf to print 24x36 on our canon 8000. I never have trouble printing files to it.

But with this file, the canon wouldn't even recognize it so it could print.

tried printing it out of indesign,
tried a tif,jpg,etc. printed out of indesign,
tried printing out of illustrator, acrobat, pshop as well.

I test printed it to the canon & some copiers as an 8.5xll, it did fine.

Does this mean our work network is slow?
the pdf corrupt?
or does it just take a long time to spool when its 189 mb?

:confused:

Last edited:
it'll take some time bcause itsnot postcript printer.. open the pdf with photoshop and print with the plugin for,
good luck,

You tried saving the PDF as a jpg and a tif, and it saved to the new formats, but then they wouldn't print either? That's strange. It's probably just taking an extremely long time to rip, but I would recommend saving the PDF down to the max resolution of your printer, or slightly less, by either using the Acrobat PDF optimizer, or creating an empty PSD of the correct size and resolution, and then placing the PDF inside.

difference between a postscript printer and a large format printer?...

thank you very much for the replies... :)

Last edited:
buy RIP software? (saw it in small print at bottom of canon ipf8000 web page. I wonder if there is another solution?

odiseas, what is this plugin for pshop you are talking about?
Is there a link to download?

Jason, I tried using pdf optimizer and several other methods.

It probably would have printed, but taken forever to rip because test printing as an 8.5x11 did fine.

thanks again guys!

Last edited:
We print files this large to iPF all the time with no issue. I suggest using the plug in. imagePROGRAF Print Plug-In is a special utility plug-in for Adobe Photoshop. Get it here
imagePROGRAF iPF8000

When you say would not print did you click on the printer properties to see if it was ripping or was there any type of activity. You can also buy PS Rips such as the EFI Colorproof XF for the iPF8000.

I don't believe this problem has anything to do with file size. We've printed much larger files than that and have never had any trouble whatsoever. The printer usually starts printing within minutes of sending the file. We recently had a similar problem with a file...small in size about 1.5mb on disk prior to ripping. Nothing we did could get it to print. We tried rasterizing via photoshop...saved as different formats etc. Could not get it to ever print. We sent another file for a different job...printed right away. Tried this file again and it would just not work. It made absolutely no sense to me since it should not have had anything to do with the file after saving as multiple file types etc. We also ended up having to print it on another printer.

I suggest making sure you have the latest firmware installed on the printer if you dont already as well.

How do I check/update firmware?
Yes, checked properties, nothing ripped. Only printed when I reduced from 24x36 to 8.5x11. Tks again

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back