Capabilities of the Okidata

Happyprinter

Are any of you currently using and okidata 9650 printer? Not the Xante Ilumina. If so, what type of stock can it handle? Thicknesses etc... How about envelopes? Are you using an envelope feeder such as the straight shooter?
We are looking for something and this was suggested as a good quality envelope feeder.
Thank You.

The OKI 9650's a good machine that'll handle virtually all laser ready stocks up to 14 pt. and envelopes as well, but I'm unfamiliar with envelope feeders.

Oki

Oki

I'm running a 3641, which apparently is basically the same machine. I crank out business cards on 80# cover, posters, multi part, you name it. I have run 110# card stock, but don't always get good fusing. Same goes for gloss stocks. Been working with my supplier. but no solutions yet. It's a great machine most of the time. Have dabbled with envelopes as well, but haven't solved the embossing from rollers yet. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Flanagan

Hi Flanagan

I was just curious if you ever resolved your issue with the roller impression on the envelopes. I have a oki 9600 and trying to get rid of the seam embossing on the envelopes too and so far no luck even with the media adjustment to ultra heavy stock.

No, my Service guy on the Oki says all these Illuminas and such are the Oki box but apparently they ahve their own firmware and Oki wouldn't discuss it, as it was proprietary. So no, I still ahven't been able to print envelopes. The heat is bad to seal them as well. I've been having lots of trouble with my Oki, it's out of register, dropping colors, and service seems lost. Might be time to try Xerox. I've tried most of the others with so-so results.

I've moved from OKI to Xerox and not looked back since. OKI machines work well in offices, but have a long way to go before they are ready for the print market.

Which Xerox did you go with?

Which Xerox did you go with?

I've moved from OKI to Xerox and not looked back since. OKI machines work well in offices, but have a long way to go before they are ready for the print market.

I have an Oki and I'm ready to graduate from it. I'm currently looking at the Canon Imagepress C1 but I was wondering, which Xerox did you upgrade to?

Thanks in advance.

medialounge

I have an Oki and I'm ready to graduate from it. I'm currently looking at the Canon Imagepress C1 but I was wondering, which Xerox did you upgrade to?

Thanks in advance.

medialounge

In my opinion, the Canon C1 is too slow. We went for a reconditioned Xerox DC250 which has been great. We have also added a DC12 and DC5252 since as business has been so good.

In my opinion, the Canon C1 is too slow. We went for a reconditioned Xerox DC250 which has been great. We have also added a DC12 and DC5252 since as business has been so good.

Out of those 3 DC's, which one is best overall? I have to say that the DC250 does look very appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.

medialounge

Out of those 3 DC's, which one is best overall? I have to say that the DC250 does look very appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.

medialounge

Best overall would probably be the DC250. The main downside to the DC250 is the front to back registration is not as good as the DC5252. Having said that, I thought the registration was good on the DC250 until I got my DC5252 which has perfect registration, so it's still pretty good. The DC250 is more reliable and handles a better range of paper stocks in my opinion than the others. The DC12 & 5252 need digital papers due to the fuser oil, but the DC250 pretty much prints on anything.

Best overall would probably be the DC250. The main downside to the DC250 is the front to back registration is not as good as the DC5252. Having said that, I thought the registration was good on the DC250 until I got my DC5252 which has perfect registration, so it's still pretty good. The DC250 is more reliable and handles a better range of paper stocks in my opinion than the others. The DC12 & 5252 need digital papers due to the fuser oil, but the DC250 pretty much prints on anything.

Did you pay for those machines outright or did you get a pay-per-click contract? There is a dc5000 on craigslist and they want $25000 for it. My guess is that it wouldn't be a good idea because the breakdowns could be costly. This machine has just a hair over 1 million impressions.

Thanks for your help

medialounge

I have had a 9659 for many years, and it prints on most any stock, except for Mohawk 100# cover. You will never be able to fix the envelope embossing issues as they are caused by roller pressure in the fuser, and it's not adjustable. The paper thickness settings change the speed and heat if fusing, and nothing else. Landscape or portrait those envelopes are still gonna emboss, no way around it.

Did you pay for those machines outright or did you get a pay-per-click contract? There is a dc5000 on craigslist and they want $25000 for it. My guess is that it wouldn't be a good idea because the breakdowns could be costly. This machine has just a hair over 1 million impressions.

Thanks for your help

medialounge

I bought the machines through dealers, but have them all on click contracts for the service. It is the only way to go with these machines in my opinion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back