Career Switch

gordo

281%20Career%20Switch_zpsnu6kh6tf.jpg

I used to be a prepress/printer, but I switched careers (4 years ago) and became a light-aircrafts mecanic/electrician.

I'm no more dealing with the same printshop (cough, cough) stuff because in the aircraft-servicing business (most of) the clients perfectly understand that their lives are at stake, and consequently they ask for the best quality job, (mostly) without arguing the cost, estimating that the price of their lives is way above the bills for servicing/fixing their planes.

And my english co-worker says (pardon him, this is english humour!) that at least with aircraft servicing, when something goes so badly wrong that the plane crashes, no owners/pilots can complain about the job, nor sue the company cause they often turn dead in the crash.

Last edited:
I know a guy who, after a long time in prepress, literally did quit to become a plumber. Within 2 years he was making more money and was much happier overall.

My father told me 15 years ago to follow his footsteps and take up a "real" trade like plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc. I really wish that I had.

Despite everything I love this trade and hope I can see it through to retirement, would I encourage my kids to follow - absolutely not, would I change career path if I could go back in time - again absolutely not

I actually enjoy plumbing. Sometimes I joke that when things go to the crapper (pun intended) and I lose the shop, I'm going to become a plumber. Hate electrical work though. When we remodeled our bathroom, I had a lot of fun crawling under the house and installing PVC and copper pipe. The toilet here at my shop is always clean.

I actually enjoy plumbing. Sometimes I joke that when things go to the crapper (pun intended) and I lose the shop, I'm going to become a plumber. Hate electrical work though. When we remodeled our bathroom, I had a lot of fun crawling under the house and installing PVC and copper pipe. The toilet here at my shop is always clean.

Lol, this fondly reminds me of our labourer who hailed from the lovely Pacific Islands and loved fish heads and Taro, there was always a rush on in the shop to use the loo before he did

Doctor calls a plumber on a saturday to fix a clogged toilet. Plumber fixes the problem in a hour and presents a $500 bill to doctor. Doctor says even he does not make that much money in an hour. Plumber says yes I know, I used to be doctor.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back