Switched Network Adapters and now licensing isn't working

strj500

In ApoDiag, I got a message that I should switch to vmxnet instead of PRO/1000. I switched and along with that came a new mac address.

Now licensing isn't working and I suspect it's due to the new/change MAC address of the vmxnet adapter. Furthermore if I try to set the mac address manually within VCenter, it gives an error says its a reserved MAC address. If I try to manually set the Mac address within Windows itself, that's also a no go.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any suggestions.

Some ideas to try:
-check to see if the MAC in question is restricted from being assigned. A lot of MAC addresses ranges are vendor specific (Dell, Broadcom, etc) to avoid conflicts in the field. VMWare has specific ranges for VMXNet, 3com, etc VNICs.
-check the switch's arp table to see if that MAC is cached
-clear the switch's arp table
-Create a new v-switch or distributed vswitch
-edit the MAC in the vmx file for the VM in question
-force the MAC you want with PowerCLI, Powershell, API call, etc (Google reveals plenty of articles on how to do this)

Last edited:
Our Apogee Prepress version 9 licensing is matched to the IP address. It asks the operating system for a single IP address rather than enumerating all interfaces. If you have more than one interface (and therefore more than one IP address) then changing the interface metrics to promote a different interface is something to try.

I’m thinking the same as @kyle that it’s an IP address mismatch. We have a couple of authentications that fail if our main fibre connection is down, and the ADSL failover has kicked in, as the routers obviously have different static IP addresses

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back