Changing paper size give me schmoo

Mark H

Working with KM1050 engines running primarily 8.5x11. When I change up to 11x17 I end up with streaking for the first 50 pages or so. I'm thinking there's some artifact either on the rollers or the fuser unit that is transferring.

Any suggestions on where to look for the build-up, how to prevent, and how to correct (other than running 50+ pages until they come clean)?

Thanks,

Mark H

what sort of stock are you running? are the 8.5x11 and 11x17 stocks comparable weight/type

The toner buildup in all likelyhood is going to be in the fuser or on the drums, both of which would be a service issue. As that is not something that should happen.

That being said, As you run one page size consistently, this does tend to dent the rubber rollers in the fuser, you would generally switch to a spare fuseing unit for different paper sizes. This doesnt sound like the issue your talking about though, because that would give you a consistent marking/scratching on the page.

what sort of stock are you running? are the 8.5x11 and 11x17 stocks comparable weight/type

The toner buildup in all likelyhood is going to be in the fuser or on the drums, both of which would be a service issue. As that is not something that should happen.

That being said, As you run one page size consistently, this does tend to dent the rubber rollers in the fuser, you would generally switch to a spare fuseing unit for different paper sizes. This doesnt sound like the issue your talking about though, because that would give you a consistent marking/scratching on the page.

Emtri,

All stock sizes are standard 24# long grain bright white laser paper. The problem only appears if we run the 8.5x11 for "long periods" then switch to 11x17. This does not appear to be a roller issue, as we're getting toner buildup and not physical scaring of the stock. Also, after running 50+/- sheets at 11x17 the problem fades away.

Thanks,

I would guess that the drum or the cleaning blade needs replacing in that case. (replacing the drum will replace the cleaning blade as well, however sometimes depending on the problem techs will replace just the cleaning blade)

Are you under a service contract?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back