Character Building!

GazKL440

Had one of those days we like to term "character building" today... and it wont end till friday with the job over 200,000 on floor.. The job is a 6 page DL 4col 2 sided work and turn, pretty straight forward excepting two things.. the job is on 100gsm gloss which is a bit of a headache, but nothing out of the ordinary, almost a full black solid with small reversed out text and pics and screens...the real issue is that the stock is cheap nasty shite that was delivered in reams, meaning hand loading, and has no body to it at all feeling like 2 coated sides without the paper in the middle! We are often victims of this "false economy" ie saving an upfront amount on the stock by buying cheaper stock in an effort to fatten margins and in reality going backwards by losing time fighting the stock on press.. It took half again as long to make ready, required leaning on the tune up bolts to get a fit and slow slow press speed (bout 10,000 SPH max).

Got it to work ok and put 50k on the floor, but was one of those days where ya are runnin round like a blue ass fly dealing with an avoidable prob.. my point was proven by throwing in a handful of 130 gloss that ripped thru @ 15000/hr with perfect fit.. Anyhow you get on with it but dont need it right?? Thats the thing with printing tho its all good and can be boring or the shit hits the fan and your flat out... Anyone have similar sort of things going on???

All I can say is " I feel your pain".. been there. and as frustrating as it is you have to keep on plugging away! And dont ever expect purchesing or sales to listen to you.

we get the same sometimes,but i have managed 80GSM part mechanical (thin art paper which on a bad day will rob your soul!!!) through our XL at 18000,some days things work some they dont!:confused::confused:

Know how you feel mate, i start a 400,000 run tomorrow cmyk both sides and coated on cheap 100gsm silk,it's a 50,000 32pp A5 booklets on a SM52-5. We do them quite regular and i always learn something new, but its still a hard slog.

Had one of those days we like to term "character building" today... and it wont end till friday with the job over 200,000 on floor.. The job is a 6 page DL 4col 2 sided work and turn, pretty straight forward excepting two things.. the job is on 100gsm gloss which is a bit of a headache, but nothing out of the ordinary, almost a full black solid with small reversed out text and pics and screens...the real issue is that the stock is cheap nasty shite that was delivered in reams, meaning hand loading, and has no body to it at all feeling like 2 coated sides without the paper in the middle! We are often victims of this "false economy" ie saving an upfront amount on the stock by buying cheaper stock in an effort to fatten margins and in reality going backwards by losing time fighting the stock on press.. It took half again as long to make ready, required leaning on the tune up bolts to get a fit and slow slow press speed (bout 10,000 SPH max).

Got it to work ok and put 50k on the floor, but was one of those days where ya are runnin round like a blue ass fly dealing with an avoidable prob.. my point was proven by throwing in a handful of 130 gloss that ripped thru @ 15000/hr with perfect fit.. Anyhow you get on with it but dont need it right?? Thats the thing with printing tho its all good and can be boring or the shit hits the fan and your flat out... Anyone have similar sort of things going on???

Even though I haven't run a press since 1992, your description brought me right back!

All I can say is that you are a good man, and that this is what printing is all about. Without men like you, where would printing be? Thanks for the memories:D

Otherthoughts

our main issue is cheap recycled board causing hickies. some operators pour the tack reducer with a hose... and sometimes you get recycled board that is worse than recycled board. I guess along with the cheap material price, the mills reduce the cost by decreasing quality assurance measures.

Turned up at 5am into a nightmare! nightshift got bugger all done, maybe 30k at the cost of 3 blankets... after a patience testing hour of fine tuning got the thing to run well at a steady 11,000SPH but had the odd tear off where only the coating of one side came off.. go figure!! to put it in perspective even at that speed we are using about 2.5kg ink per unit per stack(9000$) so its got some coverage! I actually turned up the oscillator chillers to keep temp in the rollers during change overs.. It doesnt help that the press room is not air conditioned and its fairly warm and humid, in fact it rained all day and you could watch the stock absorbing moisture... Normally we run an 80gsm high bulk velvet that runs beautifully :) You cant win em all can ya!!

How severe must one's mettle be tested before a walkabout is considered an option?

Sadly we don't embrace this option in the USA. I can think of at least two times I would have used it if we did.

Just Curious;)
Otherthoughts

Tgif :)

Tgif :)

How severe must one's mettle be tested before a walkabout is considered an option?

Sadly we don't embrace this option in the USA. I can think of at least two times I would have used it if we did.

Just Curious;)
Otherthoughts

Heh never an option :) down tools and stroll out the door..that would be admitting defeat!! I have handed a plate spanner to a production manager and told him, and i quote, "this is a plate spanner, if you can do a better job get your f***ing hands dirty!!"... but thats another story in a long list of printing anecdotes i have experienced over the years :) Fortunately i have a fairly long fuse when im working, dummy spits wont win the battle and presses require calm analytical thought processes or you just end up digging a deeper hole... and nothing is worse than walking out knowing it beat you! Today went much better job is near done, pulled a double shift that was a bit painfull but i wont complain too much when its double time :)

Time for beer.. football and maybe watch some Formula 1... apparently the lawn needs mowing too but i might sms my offsider with regards to that!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back