Charging for non-PDF files?

Gregg

Does your shop charge extra prep fees for receiving native files? Even if you suggest the client send you native files?

We are using a new vendor, so I called them and spoke to the prepress manager, he stated that they prefer native files. Fair enough.

I then spoke to the sales rep and was informed that they charge an additional $300 to prep native files - versus PDFs.

So, they will be receiving PDFs from me. ;)

Thought that was a bit shady, curious if that was an exception to the rule, or normal for most print shops.

hi gregg

we prefer native files (packaging) where possible, and upon quotation what are termed "origination" fees are built in to the quote, so we should be covered - so no there are no, for us anyway, EXTRA fees - these costs cover plates, proof, a little tie for minor alts etc

BUT this all goes to rat doodah if the files are indeed NOT press-ready - which is quite often. Having the natives enables us to put stuff right easier and be in control - pdf's we can edit but sometimes they just get rejected. We have to cost changes and get those costs agreed before proceeding - and of course all of this affects timings, print slots, cut/crease slots etc etc

We actually give a discount if they send PDF files, but we don't inflate our prices to get native files.
The difference is that PDF files can go through a little more automation than native files, so the prepress cost go down due to less "man" handling.

We may or may not be "Normal".

cheers and good luck,
David

I had a vendor tell me they charge extra for receiving PDF's instead of TIFF/IT-P1 files. It was less of a surcharge to send native files...

No cost difference on file type. Most PDF's need as much fixing as natives would anyway.

Hi Gregg,
If the customers PDF files are hi-res and already trapped, we do not charge them prep costs at all unless it is to proof it.
If they send us native files then we need to charge to set it up corrrectly (as they usually aren't), rip, trap and proof.

I can barely get many of our clients to send native files correctly, never mind press-ready pdfs! Besides, I'm not in a huge hurry to make my department obsolete. Fixing whacked files is our job security!

In a perfect world, I would ask for PDF files only and give a discount for them. It is not a perfect world, so I tell customers if they are not sure about their PDF file being "Print Ready" or there might be some major changes to the document down the road, then send the naitive files. No extra charge for sending them, but if we have to use them, then you would be billed appropriately.

I work for a packaging printer in prepress, plating & design department,
I have been here 5 years and in that time have only received actual print ready pdf's one time, and this job is running on the press as I type.
We do charge for time worked on customer file but we give them the first hour free per file
ie five versions 5 free hours anything over that we would charge a small fee, most of our pre-press charges are in the quote (plates, proofs, die's, etc). We also have a charge for
any design work that we do per hour, all inclusive.
But as some of you may have experienced 9 out of 10 "designer"
do not know what a print ready pdf is.
Also it seem like anyone with a home PC will and can call themselves a "Graphic Designer",
so watch out.

I can barely get many of our clients to send native files correctly, never mind press-ready pdfs! Besides, I'm not in a huge hurry to make my department obsolete. Fixing whacked files is our job security!

AMEN Brother!

Plus, can you imagine trying to tell someone how to create a pdf out of a native file that they can't even set up right in the first place? (wrong colors, sizes, etc.) It would go back and forth for a week when they could have sent us the native files to begin with.....

Round one Us: We can't use the pdf you sent, you didn't provide bleeds. can you send us another?
They fix the bleeds....
Round two Us: The images you have placed are lo-res RGB. Can you give us a pdf with Hi-res embedded in the correct color space?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

do not know what a print ready pdf is.
Me to... I only know all the various possibilities between "almost print-ready" and "absolutely crap"... :( (fed up of this job...)

Generally, I ask for both files, native and PDF, and I choose the less bad to image...

• If the PDF needs only minor reparation, it's easier to repair it and use it for imaging...

• but if the PDF is too bad:
- either because of a bad native file, having the native files allow easier deep corrections,
- or because of a incorrect way to generate the PDF, having the native files is the only solution to image the job correctly...

... and in all cases I don't charge the native files because they are native files, but because the choice to use a native file (or ask for the native files when not given) is often triggered by the need of extra-job on the files... and extra job mean extra-charges!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back