cheap digital envelope "press"?

FileJockey

Occasionally (more and more often) we need a short run (up to 500) of 4-color or variable data envelopes. Although our KM C8000 and BizHub 601 cannot do it, I discovered that our little desktop Canon MFP runs #10 envelopes fine, although very slowly, no jamming (knock on wood) and no embossing effect from the seams. This led me to think that there is probably a middle ground between this MFP and a dedicated envelope press, something speedier than the Canon, but not quite as beefy or costly as other options.
Xante seems to always get mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience with a smallish format printer that meets this need?

I know one digital press/printer that can print #10 envelopes perfectly. But it isn't exactly inexpensive or smallish format printer and that is the Versant 2100.

If you should decide to go the more expensive route. look at Okidata. Xante and others use their printers as a base, but now Oki is selling envelope setups themselves. You'll save tons of money on consumables and probably get better service if you have trouble.

Depending on what you mean by inexpensive - 2 ink jet options - Riso ComColor - very inexpensive to operate however it is a production machine - will do much more than envelopes - will handle variable data no problem with the better external RIP. Go to Riso Printer | There is no right way, just a way! for more info and a demo video. Big advantage is running cost.

Less expensive option is a MemJet desktop - would be a lot of fiddly work to run 500 thru it but would work - these machines are very economical to purchase and once again - as envelopes use very little ink - quite low cost to run.

Hi DYP,
Can you share your experience with printing #10 envelopes with the Versant 2100? We are looking at a 2100 now. Thanks.

I know one digital press/printer that can print #10 envelopes perfectly. But it isn't exactly inexpensive or smallish format printer and that is the Versant 2100.

Hi DYP,
Can you share your experience with printing #10 envelopes with the Versant 2100? We are looking at a 2100 now. Thanks.

You have to feed them into tray 5. But ask about post card insert for tray 6 or 7. I seem to remember something about that. Feeding in tray 5 is just small stacks at a time but #10s come out with absolutely no wrinkles. And you'll want to have extra fuser belts for running that size.

Look at the KM1070 before making a decision on the Versant. It has an optional--easy switch envelope fuser--and I believe is much less than the Xerox. With the Creo IC-309 (and special OS version) and firmware upgrade to the engine, it can auto-switch out of three high-capacity trays. Excellent and stable color, too. Runs 13x19 up to 350 gsm and will easily duplex 300 gsm.

A KM dealer or even KM might tell you the envelope info I gave is not possible. We are a dealer and I personally just finished with KM and Creo engineering to make this all happen. We have the press in four locations running envelopes and the customers are happy. I can tell you who to talk to at KM and/or Creo if you contact me.

Happy Printing!
Dwight

Oki C931: $4500
Straight Shooter Envelope feeder: $4500

Pretty Straightforward, good quality, occasional fuser seam lines.

I know there are a variety of envelope printers with MemJet technology in them. The only one that comes to mind right now is the Rena Mach 5. Rena USA

Cheap (with very good quality) would be a used Oki 9800 for $1200. or so. You can feed continuously using the by-pass tray - runs of 500 or less not a problem. If you like what you see, add a Straightshooter feeder for about $4M.

Try seeing some various models in action, if possible. They all have some drawbacks. Inkjet inks run when wet, toner-based printers often have some trouble printing over seams and need special window envelopes or the windows melt. I use an Oki-based printer, and the last time I had trouble with flap edges, support finally said "it was a known issue" and left it at that. Shrug.

Last edited:
Stay away from the Formax Colormax 7. Uses memjet. If you don't buy quality envelopes, you're hosed. We just replaced it with a Xante Impressia and this think kicks butt.

You have to feed them into tray 5. But ask about post card insert for tray 6 or 7. I seem to remember something about that. Feeding in tray 5 is just small stacks at a time but #10s come out with absolutely no wrinkles. And you'll want to have extra fuser belts for running that size.

There is a bracket for envelopes that screws in tray 6 or 7 (high cap trays). We ran out first test of enevlopes on our new Versant 2100, and it all went perfectly. loaded the high cap try right up and ran full colour #10 window envelopes with zee jams, no marking on the envelopes, only some slight crinkling on the window. We ran 1000 envelopes in 20 mins or so. We were very impressed at this bonus feature of the 2100 and ai am surprised they do not market this option. Even their techs were surprised envelopes ran.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back