Cheap Envelope Feeder for Okidata

It should have something to do with connectors. Please inspect the drum carefully and look to the connection meeting points in the machine itself. Make sure that nothing is bent etc.

Here is what I have found on internet:

fireflyspc (MIS)
29 Oct 10 11:40
Does anyone have any idea what this error means and how I might DIY fix it? It is on a Xerox Phaser 7400. Your help is much appreciated.
Michael52x (TechnicalUser)
19 Nov 10 13:15
Bad black developer. ID tag is corrupt.
"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97
fireflyspc (MIS)
19 Nov 10 19:39
Thanks Michael! How do you clear the error, or fix the printer. Do you just change the black toner or imager? I have already replaced the printer with a working unit, but if I can fix this one and have it on standby that would be great.
Michael52x (TechnicalUser)
22 Nov 10 13:07
Secondary service menu, "clear techrep faults"
Should get it reset. clear all that are there[it's one at a time} NVRAM Reset also. May need twice to sync properly.
"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97
fireflyspc (MIS)
22 Nov 10 13:43
Thanks again! I will try it out.

You need to find a way to get in to service mode, do you know how?

I found that to. can't get into service mode. hold up and down while powering on. never fully boots up. I've checked all the connections. no joy. I'm afraid that this is going to result in a service call.

Last edited:
One note: The drums are rated for approximately 40M for 11" of paper length, but with most envelopes shorter than that (#10 = 4"), you can easily get 60 to 80M from a drum.

I routinely get around 70M from drums running #10 envelopes ....I will try a reset tomorrow, interesting information.

CJ you can reset the drum life counter with minifuse, I can post a illustration on how to do so. It is 0.125A tiny fuse, some sell the on Ebay for 20 times the cost but they could be found on internet dirty cheap. On other hand if drum gives you quality issues - it is done. We had made a few attempts to dis-assemble them - mission impossible. What is interesting is that drums from all Phaser 7400, Oki ES-3640, Oki C9800 series could be used in any machine. There are tiny pins on the back that make all the difference. The pin fits in to plastic housing on the back wall of the printer. Remove the housing and machine is ready to accept any drum there are but a person doing this should take extra caution not to confuse the drums in between it's positions. Also toner pins where the cartridge fits that OKi, xante, xerox configure to their own combination, just completely remove them with pliers and Drum unit is ready to accept any toner cartridge.
I must add that last will allow the person to install cyan on place of magenta or mix them up in any combination so please be careful - Cyan toner goes on top of cyan drum, magenta toner on Magenta drum, Yellow on yellow and black toner must be installed to black drum.
Any possibility you can get that illustration?

Any luck?

Any luck?

Sort of. only played for about 20 minutes. had to go home. it will with though

I'm glad I came across this discussion! I've been researching and thinking of doing the exact same thing, and the Astro 2000 seems to be the only feeder that is regularly available used that would work with the oki 9650. Did you get it to work well? Do you have any advice? Would you have done anything differently?

Thanks!

If you can find a used straight shooter your life will be a lot simpler, ours just keeps feeding our 7400 with no issues.

WP_000705.jpg

I'm glad I came across this discussion! I've been researching and thinking of doing the exact same thing, and the Astro 2000 seems to be the only feeder that is regularly available used that would work with the oki 9650. Did you get it to work well? Do you have any advice? Would you have done anything differently?

Thanks!
I gave up, not because I couldn't make it work,which I think it will, I just don't have the time.

I did some further research and for anyone looking to do the same, it seems that only the Astro 2000-11 has the electronic sensor that you would want. Otherwise you just have to set a speed and try to time it well. The straight shooter and VIP feeders would also work, but they are hard to come by at the same price as a used astro.

Non window envelopes are fine, haven't found a window envelope that works yet. Print quality is good.

Check Western States Envelope... they manufacture a window specifically for laser printers.

Will do, every "laser compatible" window envelope I have tried so far in the 7400 melts. Fortunately most of our small run envelopes are non-window #10 anyway.

I have an Oki C9650 using the Straight Shooter Feed System. I was using the Western States Digital Envelopes but they changed the flap design to be straight instead of the point and then they would not work in my Neopost Inserting equipment, printed great but useless if you have to hand stuff. I now do a custom order through WCP Solutions, and I think they get them from National. Jams up a little more with the flap catching on the window, but I need them to work for inserting, cost was similar to Western States.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back