Chilled Rollers?

RandyW_GG

We are considering adding chilled rollers to our presses, and would welcome any feedback from those who have them. What are the benifits? Do they help stability on long runs only or have you experienced better consistency in make-ready and short runs?

Thanks in advance

Randy Warren
Gilson Graphics
Grand Rapids, MI

re Chilled Inking Rollers

re Chilled Inking Rollers

Hello, a temperature controlled Inking system is an "Essential" addition to any Printing Press. If you purchase such a system, make sure the "Inflow and the "Outflow" are at different ends of the Chilled Oscillator Roller and they are much better if they are "Copper Plated" i.e Temperature Gradient control

See the PDF

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Ink Temp # 1006.pdf
    379.4 KB · Views: 319
Chilled Rollers

Chilled Rollers

Hi,

As a press manufacturer we put chilled oscillator rollers on all of our UV equipped presses. On our higher speed presses, we also chill the fountain ball. When I say chill, I mean temperature control. The oscillators run around 67 F, and the fountain ball around 72 F. The must be different temps if you do this.

Don Geiger
Product Manager, Press Division
Muller Martini

We are considering adding chilled rollers to our presses, and would welcome any feedback from those who have them. What are the benifits? Do they help stability on long runs only or have you experienced better consistency in make-ready and short runs?

Thanks in advance

Randy Warren
Gilson Graphics
Grand Rapids, MI

Randy,

You presses are prepared for it but have plastic covering on the vibrators. The R700 does even controles the ink fountain ball. We service manroland presses for many years and I found people saying it helps and other it does not do anything.
It is good for long run jobs special if you don't transfer a lot of ink. The system you need to add is costly.
Contact me if you have any other questions.
[email protected]

Thanks in advance

Randy Warren
Gilson Graphics
Grand Rapids, MI

On conventional presses, roller cooling helps consistency as long as the temperature control is consistent. I have seen density variations that matched the temperature variations of the cooling fluid temperature to the ink fountain roller. Surprisingly small temperature variations had an effect. We had to modify the cooling system to produce a variation of less than 1 degree C. This was for EB inks and with a continuous ductor which I think tends to be a sensitive combination.

Press manufacturers are not interested but a simple technical concept of mine call an Ink Transfer Blade or ITB, modifies the performance of the ink transfer at the ductor. With the ITB, ink transfer is consistent and independent of changes in temperature or water settings in the press and this results in consistent print density. Unfortunately it is not commercially available yet.

Also you must understand that your fountain solution helps to cool the roller train too but its temperature and therefore its cooling affect is not as well controlled in a print unit.

re Chilled Rollers - part # 2

re Chilled Rollers - part # 2

Plumbing Basics for "Temperature controlled Ink Roller Trains" I hope the following information is useful ????

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Ink Temp # 2007.pdf
    452.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Ink Temp # 3008.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 283
The pdf temperature guidelines supplied by Senefelder are right on the money.

When we purchased our last press we worked out a deal with the press manufacture to retrofit an older press with temperature controlled oscillators. The results were immediately positive with a temperature drop from 37-38 c/ 98-100 f to a consistent 25-26c/77-78f. I think many people make the mistake of running the temperature to low. With testing we found our presses and inks performed best around 25-26 C/77-78 F range. The ink fountain ball is also temperature controlled and we adjust this setting accordingly to help with ink flow through the fountain. We usually keep this temperature slightly higher than the rest of the printing unit. The same temperature or lower will result in our inks trying to back away from the fountain ball (we do not have agitators).

The only downside is the expense of purchasing the retrofit and the downtime associated with installing it. Most systems call for a propylene glycol (PG) based antifreeze which may not be readily available. We use Sierra Antifreeze in our systems. Try and test different temps to see where you print best, don't just set it and forget it.

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back