Choking attached Fiery...

kdw75

I am running a 560 with the attached Fiery and I had sent a 400 page 13x19 inch document to it with variable data. Because of the small quantity I didn't bother to use Freeflow, I just let it RIP each page, which it did pretty quickly. About half way through though the printer just stopped printing, while CW and the printers display still indicated that it was printing. After trying to cancel it I finally shut off the printer, but the Fiery wouldn't go off until I finally flipped it's switch.

Is this what happens when you overload it or does this sound like glitches software?

On your Fiery under Configure > PDL > PS select 'Cache PDF and PS Objects' and enable it. This will specify whether images in PDF and PS files are cached in order to reduce the need to reprocess the same image in a file. When you do use Freeflow (or PPML or VPS for that matter) for the VDP output it automatically caches the static parts.

On your Fiery under Configure > PDL > PS select 'Cache PDF and PS Objects' and enable it. This will specify whether images in PDF and PS files are cached in order to reduce the need to reprocess the same image in a file. When you do use Freeflow (or PPML or VPS for that matter) for the VDP output it automatically caches the static parts.

I actually do have that checked. It RIPs the files about the same speed as the machine prints them, which is around 12ppm since it's gloss cover.

If you were one of my customers I'd be asking you if the the interruption in printing ever happens with non-vdp jobs and go from there. If yes then I'd probably suggest clearing the Fiery (after archiving files and backing up customizations first) to free up resources. If no, then I'd take a hard look at your workflow parameters from creation to print. I'd also want to know if this was a recent thing or if you've always had trouble with similar jobs. I don't know how effective X's support structure is but you might look into sending them your files for issue replication and resolution.

This is the second time it has happened. The machine is under 3 months old. Both times it happened while running variable data from PDFs with lots of pages.

I've had the same thing happen with our Canon 1135 connected with a J100 to Micropress when running variable data large files. The only cure is to cold reboot the J100 and yes I have been told repeatedly that the J100 is just a pass-through and shouldn't be causing a problem. We traded out a J200 too and it did the same thing.
I suspect that a small checkbox somewhere in the entire system is not marked correctly but no one knows where to look to fix it.
My limit here seems to also be in the 350-450 range of data. I am doing more varable data but not enough to properly replicate the problem. When I do have the data, I don't have the time to experiment-- the job has to be out the door. Data files involved are generally Microsoft based: Word or Publisher with Excel/csv data, pdf'd and merged on the Micropress.
Ours is definitely in the variable data realm because we run 40,000 page tax bill pdfs with no problem, just long RIP time.
In writing this, I wonder if the problem is Microsoft- based code in the original files? What are your originals in?

I've had the same thing happen with our Canon 1135 connected with a J100 to Micropress when running variable data large files. The only cure is to cold reboot the J100 and yes I have been told repeatedly that the J100 is just a pass-through and shouldn't be causing a problem. We traded out a J200 too and it did the same thing.
I suspect that a small checkbox somewhere in the entire system is not marked correctly but no one knows where to look to fix it.
My limit here seems to also be in the 350-450 range of data. I am doing more varable data but not enough to properly replicate the problem. When I do have the data, I don't have the time to experiment-- the job has to be out the door. Data files involved are generally Microsoft based: Word or Publisher with Excel/csv data, pdf'd and merged on the Micropress.
Ours is definitely in the variable data realm because we run 40,000 page tax bill pdfs with no problem, just long RIP time.
In writing this, I wonder if the problem is Microsoft- based code in the original files? What are your originals in?

They are data merged from .csv Excel files in InDesign and then exported as a PDF.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back