Clean up for a QM46/2 press

RGPW17100

I am curious how long it takes you to clean a QM46/ 2 color press. Our scheduling program really does not cover this so our press operators have to create non production tags for cleaning the machines. One operator has up to 5 color washes a day at 20 minutes each wash. Standard washup is around 15 minutes. I notice during the clean up the machine is at 3350 rpm and the ink fountain rollers are being cleaned with the press. Also when doing wash ups do you clean out the clean up attachment at the end of each day or at the end of each week?

I am curious how long it takes you to clean a QM46/ 2 color press. Our scheduling program really does not cover this so our press operators have to create non production tags for cleaning the machines. One operator has up to 5 color washes a day at 20 minutes each wash. Standard washup is around 15 minutes. I notice during the clean up the machine is at 3350 rpm and the ink fountain rollers are being cleaned with the press. Also when doing wash ups do you clean out the clean up attachment at the end of each day or at the end of each week?

our guys can do a final cleanup in about 10 mins. that's with washing both fountains.
3350 is too slow for a washup imo. our local Heidelberg techs suggest 6000. this is what we have done for about 10 years now with no negative effects. if the rollers and tray blades "hickey removers" are in good shape, it should wash the rollers very fast. at the end of each wash up, the blade is cleaned off and the tray itself isn't cleaned up until the last shift of the week.

i can wash up my 5 colour Roland in 20 mins (less the fountains) i'd be concerned if it's taking our guys that long to clean a qm46 (even if it's a colour change)

Washup QM-46/2

Washup QM-46/2

15 mins, 6500/speed no problem have always used that speed. Fountain rollers cleaned by hand. I can't imagine anyone cleaning these w/press. It takes about 30 secs each. Wipe both wash up tray blades after every wash. Clean trays every couple of days, folded rag in each tray so basically take rag out and wipe out. Color wash takes a little longer. Usually tap on light color run a few minutes and rinse again. 99% this gets unit clean enough for a yellow.

I agree with the other posts 10-15 minutes depending on the color in and the color going to. With a rag folded in the tray you can easily do a change out when needed without having to clean the the entire tray. When you change blades then do a better job of cleaning out the tray and any ink buildup.

15 mins, 6500/speed no problem have always used that speed. Fountain rollers cleaned by hand. I can't imagine anyone cleaning these w/press. It takes about 30 secs each. Wipe both wash up tray blades after every wash. Clean trays every couple of days, folded rag in each tray so basically take rag out and wipe out. Color wash takes a little longer. Usually tap on light color run a few minutes and rinse again. 99% this gets unit clean enough for a yellow.

Ditto.

WW

Thanks for all your feedback. I agree and clean this machine as described however I tend to go a bit faster using 6800 rpm, Hand clean pan roller and start with a bead of color step 1. Let idle for 10 seconds and engage the clean up attachments then a little more twice of the color wash step 1 then go to the 50/50 mix of water misable. I like the step one because it emulsifies the ink so that it does not bead up on the clean up blades. We have a parts washer so cleaning the attachments is no big deal. The reason I posted this is I want to show the responses to my press operator in hopes that after 10 years they will change their ways and work to becoming more productive.

On 2nd Gen QM:

Wash-up time. Usually 10-15 mins.
5500 is my wash-up speed, always.
{Exception example:when going from say a 289 Blue to Pro Yellow {or similar dark w/heavy pigment to light color}. I'm a picky bastard, so I'll do an initial clean, then color wash with ink & something like EasyStreet, idling @ 5500 for 3-5 mins, so color wash adds approx 5 mins to wash-up time.}

Fountain(s) done during wash-up run, drop the tray, pull the sides and clean..

Wash-up trays w/folded rag in pan it takes all of 3 mins to clean. Cleaning depends on amount of wash-ups. Usually after every 3-4 days of average use.

Pull rollers & hand clean & inspect monthly.

Last edited:
mate if me and my assistant can do a full wash on a 40inch 4 col top to toe inclusive of rollers, blankets, back cyl's and ducts, in 40 mins, then 20 mins for 2col 46 seems... excessive... however if roller or wash up attachments are worn it can take longer.. More importantly are these wash ups affecting productivity? Its possible he is just the type of pressman that takes his time and gets it right, and that aint a bad thing! (but 3500 is waaaay too slow a wash up speed on any press you can name...)

Press operator was laid off about a month ago. This person was on limited hours because of slow times and I feel that the clean up times would have been faster if their hours were not cut. I am currently running the jobs on that machine. Color wash I am doing starts with a color wash step one then finished with 50/50 water misable. I clean the fountain rollers by hand while rollers are cleaning. Going to a pastel color from a dark color I use varn take it off and it only increases the wash up by a few minutes. I clean between 6500 and 7000 rpm. I only wipe the clean up blades then was the entire clean up unit on Fridays with a parts washer.

Stop whinning about 5 god damn minutes, you cheap bastard. That poor guy probably makes more money for the company than you do.

BJ

Stop whinning about 5 god damn minutes, you cheap bastard. That poor guy probably makes more money for the company than you do.

BJ

Cheap has nothing to do with it. I can color wash this press in under 10 minutes. This operator was taking 20 minutes with 5 washups a day which would be 50 minutes a day. There are 260 working days in a year. That becomes 216 hours a year at $22/ hour which is close to $4750 dollars a year we are wasting on a non productive worker. Maybe if you got past 6th grade you might realize this and the fact we are in a recession. Because press operators are gods and will not lower them selves to do bindery or shipping you pretty much become worthless to me the manager when you don't perform. If you cant run every press, copier, computer or bindery equipment you are not worth half of what I am worth.

Agreed. Time wasting kills companies and then no one has a job right? Im happy to run a folder or strap pallets and load trucks if i have nothing doing on my press, and have worked where running a press and hand collating short run books was the norm.. bear in mind that nowadays when im not printing jobs im fillin in maintenance schedules on my press.. In this economic climate nobody can afford to carry dead wood, and the quickest way to lose your job is to be USELESS.

Recently seen a 10 layer peel away ink fountain liner on a QM, sort of like what they use on nascar helmets. The guys seemed to like it, they said it saves them time during color changes. The liner not only covered the bottom but also the cheekplates.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back