Color Accurate Web Based Soft Proofing - Good Idea or Bad?

Hi Cheryl,
So you will not compare a final printed product on paper with the colours you see (or have seen) on the monitor? - just curious - what you would like to achieve and if the monitor proof shall be the "color target" for a press run.
Many other things has been said already. The most critical, vendor independent, factor in my option is the surrounding viewing environment.
br,
Nico

Yes we will be reviewing color to the monitor however that would be the final printed piece.

Our goal is, as you say, to have the monitor be the "Color Target".

Thanks Nico

Cheryl

Last edited:
In all honesty your choice of forums to ask questions on such a niche subject are few and far between.

We are currently looking at the suitability of softproofing for our customers where we have come to conclusion that while it can help reduce interim colour amendments we don't think it suitable to replace a hard copy contract proof going to the printer.

I can see how softproofing can work in closed loop environment to recognise print standards for CMYK publishing, example newsprint but we are in packaging dealing with many different printers, process's, standards, spot colours, materials etc.

I agree with you to a point, however based on my research of these products one does stand out a bit more regarding the ability to manage our custom color libraries.

However as with all decisions, not only the choice of the solution, and company for that matter have to be taken into consideration we need to look at; stability, R&D, support and longevity of a product when weighing our decision.

You're also correct the forums are few and far between, though I did give it the college try. Interestingly enough some of the questions that were asked of me, and some of the comments made caused me to go back and review the solutions yet another time making the choice somewhat clearer.

Thanks for your input.

I agree with you to a point, however based on my research of these products one does stand out a bit more regarding the ability to manage our custom color libraries.

Would that be RD by any chance ? Do you have or do you routinely create/collect the necessary spot colour information to make the simulation accurate ?

Solid spot colours that are used in isolation without trapping with other colours are fairly straight forward to deal with. Solid and screened spot colours that trap with other spot colours / process colours are a lot more difficult to simulate accurately where the key is the accuracy of your source information. No different to hard copy simulation proofing.

Soft proofing in packaging is a rarity at the moment and anybody wanting to jump into that arena now will be paying a premium to do so along with taking on the 'in production R&D role' that requires the products to be further refined.

Also the ROI cost saving on hard proofs (Epson's) for our customers would take years.

Yes that would be RD, it seems that they have a better grasp on managing custom spot colors in general verses your standard Pantone library of colors

We do collect data on our spot colors, however I'm being told that the data that we collect isn't the same data that would be needed for inputting our Corporate and Brand colors into their solution. I do agree with you, the in production R&D role is going to be a bit costly in the beginning, overtime we should still see a savings.

Really, your ROI cost on hard proofs would take years? We're seeing that just eliminating our inkjet content proofs we could recover the cost of any one of these three solutions relatively quick. Personally, it could be that its just to easy to hit the print button now-a-days. :)

I should point out we are convertor not a brand owner just in case there is any confusion.

Either we sell Epson's too cheap or your paying too much or you getting through too many hard copy revisions!

Me, a contract company that does independent software research for all facets of the graphic arts industry, who's often accused of operating in "stealth" mode.
We are about the best solution for the client, and choices are not based on previous loyalties, if anything we're forced to a higher standard due to our history. The fact that software and companies change so frequently and both can become outdated or unsupported in a heartbeat should force re-evaluation, as a necessity and not a luxury.

If I would venture a guess, you're selling to cheap, it was a very common error when inkjet proofs hit the market, been there done that. :)
Honestly, the client I'm researching for now, is getting a great price, on lets call them content inkjet proofs, they do pay a bit more for their color accurate contract proofs.

I appreciate you sharing Chief as you can see this was a pretty rough crowd. ;)

It could be worse, try asking the same question on some of the Linkedin forums and see how many people chirp up offering their wares! ;)

Been there, done that... the wares folks devour you pretty darn quick over there. :)

Thought I would have had a better shot over here being that you can cloak your identity... found in the past when individuals have that ability they tend to speak a bit more freely.

Thanks again Chief its been great chatting with you.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I totally appreciated the conversation, and your questions, ProperPixel. I was looking for similar info, and while there aren't any reviews here, the conversation has been revealing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back