Colour Change After Lamination

erikson73

Hi all,

Please advise:

(1) I do see a colour change on the printed sheet after it is being laminated, usually the magenta will show up more. Anyone can share their experience on this lamination issue? Is it always magenta will show up more?

(2) Is there way that we can compensate this colour move in prepress i.e is to cut down the % in magenta?

Will be looking forward to your valuable reply. Thanks!

Regards
Eric Boo

Re: Colour Change After Lamination

Most offset printers use imitation inks for jobs that get coated or are laminated. Check with your ink supplier to see if your inks are OK for coating. Different manufacturers use more expensive inks to counter the change that occurs with lamination or they run with wax free inks. If you are using toner based product check with your supplier. You need to answer more questions about the process used to print your substrate with.

Our experience (cold adhesive lam) is gloss darkens colors appearance and matte lightens. We don't notice a particular color cast though I'm sure it's possible. Have you considered a different or thinner lamination film? If all else fails, it is probably reasonable to expect to have to do a trial and error approach to adjusting print color for the lamination. Good Luck!

Dan

Eric:
When you laminate, you increase the tone value of screens and add white light to all your solid colors. The laminate is producing optical dot gain by increasing the light loss when it is reflected from the sheet of paper or the ink film. I don't think there is a way to predict the effect on all colors without trial and error. Get a small laminator and have it at press side. Heard that works sometimes. Very tricky problem, but 3M solved it to make MatchPrint work.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

On some of the skin packaging film thats out there we have noticed a yellow tint. Maybe the same with the laminate. If your laminate has a tint it could effect you color.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back