Controller/rip effect on print

Laith

1. For dry toner, a controller, like Fiery, improves color accuracy/matching with monitor color, but does it improve definition, of fine lines for examples, help with color transition/banding, and produce solid color text (This is one of the problems we have with our printer)? Please tell me what other graphical features it affects.

2. There are rip software, which is a the graphical part of what a controller does (correct me if I am wrong), for wide format inkjets. Are there ones for dry toner printers, that can be an alternative for a controller?

Thanks

Last edited:
In simple terms, a RIP (Raster Image Processor), converts the page description language into a raster image. As you say, that is the software function. Without the box, the best the rip software can do is send that raster image to the printer's internal processor to interpret and send to the print engine. So, any deficiencies in the printer's processor remain in the output. The box part of the rip is of course a computer dedicated to processing files. That takes the load off of your computer. But most important, the box has additional hardware and a separate cable that sends the page image directly to the print engine, bypassing the printer's internal processor. In theory, that image is superior to what the internal processor is capable of and takes full advantage of the engine's capabilities.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back