Conversion of CIP3-PPF to final offset press settings

screenpixie

We have been generating PPF-files for nearly 10 years. While ripping the 1-bit TIFF files our RIP calculates PPF-files. As far as I know, these PPF-files are a generic set of data which have to be converted to a specific file type, depending on the brand and type of printing machine. Every brand of printing machine comes with a specific piece of software to handle this conversion.
We're having an internal discussion on who should convert the generic CIP3-PPF to the actual machine settings. Is this a prepress task or should it be taken care of by the pressmen? Since not only ink key settings will have to fit in the final file (dampener settings, ink pick-up roller settings, ink sequence, ... fit in there as well), it appears to be a typical pressman's job.
I was wondering how this is solved in other printshops.

Thanks for your feedback.

screenpixie

Prepress generates the data, The pressroom interprets it - its the press that has to produce the final product.

Take a look at InkZone from Digital Information. Their solution will take your PPF/CIP3 files and convert them into a format suitable for almost any press. It will also preset the ink keys on the press for you. This software will probably become the responsibility of the prepress team. Then you don't have to worry about who's going to do the conversion, it's already done!

Digital Information - DI-Plot, InkZone, Preproofer

Digital Information developed a broad range of solutions and press connections for preset and closed loop color control. I am glad to answer all questions about this topic, here or offline.
With kind regards
Michael
General Manager, Digital Information

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back