Creating a Good PDF from Quark

pcmodem

Registered Users
What is the best way to create a usable PDF from Quark 6, 7, and 8 for a PDF workflow? We have been using a separated workflow up until now and I know there were problems with composite files from Quark in the past.

Any tips?

I know that many Quark-users print to a PS-file and use the Distiller for PDF-conversion. This is a fairly save method. I recommend it when you use Quark 6.

With Quark 7 or 8 I normally use the export function, but I leave everything unchanged. No downsampling, no colourconversion, no compression e.d. Then I use an Acrobat Preflight to handle these items.

Mode: Composite
Setup: As Is

I definetly don't want to use colourmanagement in Quark. I've got no problems with PMS - RGB - CMYK used in Quark as long as I leave them unchanged. Analyse and fix with preflights in Acrobat.

I'm sorry. You can't turn off colourmanagement, but what I try to say is that you dont use it when you export to PDF. I prefer to do colourmanagement with the Adobe (ACE) engine. You can't use the Adobe (ACE) engine in Quark.

When you export your pdf or postscript file you will have options to set the mode (composite cmyk, As Is, etc...)
Postscript you have a section for Colors > Setup Option, than choose your color output options.

PDF export, you select your PDF Style and click options underneath that and there is a selection for Colors as well.

With latest update for Quark 8, you can for the first time export native PDF without back-conversion to PS.
It works with our Heidelberg PDF workflow fine, however Nexpress rip seem to choke on these PDF's often.

With latest update for Quark 8, you can for the first time export native PDF without back-conversion to PS.
It works with our Heidelberg PDF workflow fine, however Nexpress rip seem to choke on these PDF's often.

Quark is still back-converting to PS. This you see when you place a PDF with live transparency - they are all flattened (resolution depending on your flattening setup of the used PDF export settings). Only transparencies created in the layout document itself are preserved (assuming you use the correct PDF export settings) due to the use of so called "pdfmark" command in the PS-stream.

Regards,
Peter Kleinheider

Could this be due to old PDF filter they use in Quark?
I'll have to do some testing with PDF's. I was happy that they are finally able to export their own transparency without flattening that I didn't think of others :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back