Creative Cloud opinions please.

Q) I am a Creative Cloud member using the CS6 applications included in my membership. Will I lose access to CS6 when CS7 becomes available in Creative Cloud?

A) No, if you have downloaded and installed the CS6 versions of the applications, you will continue to have access to them without interruption as long as your membership remains active. When the CS7 versions become available, you will have up to a year to download and install them and they will run on your machine along with CS6 versions.

From: https://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Ouch. I hear the alarm bells sounding.. We use older versions to help us open some files that the newer ones struggle with.

I can just see it now:

CS7 (or 8) is pushed to subscribers and the older version is removed. People can no longer open old files (AI 8 / Freehand) and threaten to raze the headquarters. Adobe's response would be "Well, if you had read item 57 subsection L of your ELUA you would've known this was coming. This only thing you can do is use this service bureau (started by an Adobe offshoot) to convert them for you........"

It only perpetuates this problem by the fact that you still accept formats that has been "dead" for nearly a decade. I realize that this doesn't completely apply to Flexo yet (but it will soon) but sending in files in 10 year old formats and expecting perfection is akin to sending film and bluelines in.

We won't accept Freehand any longer. We educate the customer and point the customer to a service bureau where they can pay through the nose or force their designers to upgrade to a modern format. This is quite effective and we haven't lost any orders because of it. Sometimes they just pay up but 90% of them have forced their designers to turn the page and upgrade.

Doest that apply to versions installed prior to the Cloud subscription?

I am still waiting for an answer on this.

Al

It only perpetuates this problem by the fact that you still accept formats that has been "dead" for nearly a decade. I realize that this doesn't completely apply to Flexo yet (but it will soon) but sending in files in 10 year old formats and expecting perfection is akin to sending film and bluelines in.

We won't accept Freehand any longer. We educate the customer and point the customer to a service bureau where they can pay through the nose or force their designers to upgrade to a modern format. This is quite effective and we haven't lost any orders because of it. Sometimes they just pay up but 90% of them have forced their designers to turn the page and upgrade.

Comments like that show that you obviously don't pay the bill to upgrade the software. It's easy to make that statement when your wallet isn't backing you up. What difference does it make if it's 10 years old or 1 version old? Of course the software venders "Expect" you to upgrade, duh. I "Expect" my customers to buy more printing too!!

Let me clarify. I am looking more at old designs in old formats. Where a long time customer has decided to try us and that's all they have. Or how about a company that used Freehand for years only to have it bought by Adobe for patents and buried rendering their archives worthless. Keep an "old machine around" for old software I guess.

It sounds like you're in a position that many of us prepress people dream about. It sounds like you can pick and choose what you do prep work on as well as punish customers by making them "pay through the nose" to then give you something pristine. Cheers to you man.

I assure you that I don't have a dream job. I deal with the same headaches (possibly more) day-in / day-out. I don't own the joint nor do I collect a dividend.

Taking jobs for a loss, giving away services, maintaining costly rarely used legacy equipment/skill-sets and the mentality of 'i'll invest/perform the bare minimum to keep things running' is a race to the bottom that kills everyone in the market. That applies to any business. Now more than ever budgeting, structure and diligent planning are critical. Schumpeter's gale (creative destruction) is always on the side of the innovator.

I can't imagine just sitting around waiting for something/everything to become obsolete then panic buying just to keep my head above water. Inversely, I don't subscribe to the 'gee-whize theres a new widget must buy! must buy!' concept either.

I get what you're saying. The problem is it doesn't work that way for my particular situation. We are overhead. Not a profit center. The object is to lose as little as possible.

With that I am told "unacceptable" when our old archives can no longer be opened. For ME it would be better for Adobe to continue to support an import filter that they've already written and use. This is much better than A) using an old machine and supporting it. or B) Convert everything at once not knowing which files will be used.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that not everyone's situation is the same.

It's actually a good price for the cloud subscription. You should then go for it. And Adobe Creative Suite has always been the best set of tools for designers.

What about plug-ins? Say you have any common Acrobat plug-in and you have a year to upgrade (did I read that right?) and you're forced to upgrade but your plug-in isn't compatible with the new version. Now what do you do?

Keith

It's sounding more and more like:

If you keep your software and systems up to date (within 12-18 months) then the Cloud based subscription is not a bad option.

If you have older software and newer software that need to co-exist then going the version purchase route may be in your best interests (keep old plugins running).
I can see this for people who have workflow/plugin solutions that do not keep a maintenance contract or purchase every upgrade.

Two different clients submitted CS6 files in the past 2 business days. I upgraded to the Creative Cloud today. So far, it's no more/no less than what I expected. It didn't break my CS5 or CS4 installs. I do have some plugins that will need upgrading as well but this has always been the case with a CS upgrade. Overall we will save at least ~$400 the first year.

CS6 is probably going to require a subscription in the future, so it might be good to get in while the price is still low. That's just a prediction, but either way unless you plan on using something other than CS, it might be a good idea.

There are a few programs out there that rival the quality of Creative Suite, for less, but Adobe is offering a pretty good product that is easy to integrate. Plus as printers we are supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology :).

>There are a few programs out there that rival the quality of Creative Suite, for less, but Adobe is offering a pretty good product that is easy to integrate. Plus as printers we are supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology

Why especially with the graphics business as diverse as it is today would we consider Adobe products be the cuttting edge of technology?

Will the price jump to $49 a month after the first year?
At some point will Adobe insist on this quasi-cloud subscription and discontinue box purchase?

They may do just that. No more hard media will probably help with the piracy issue.

Adobe seems to be taking the "It's my way or the highway" approach. Until they get some good competition, they can do what they want.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back