Creo Rip or Fiery Rip

zBret

Can someone tell me what the differences are between these 2 rips, also
which one of these rips work better for VDP.
Thanks

We used to have a Creo rip with our Xerox. It was strong on color management and imposition. Unfortunately, it seemed to be a finicky rip and very few Xerox people were well trained on it because most customers have Fiery rips. We now have a Fiery rip. The newest version adds a great deal of features. We have the graphic arts package that includes color management and greatly improved imposition. It seems to deliver consistent results and overall we are very happy with it. We did little VDP on either one. Good luck.

Fiery is better for color management. Creo works better in a VDP enviroment. Creo is easier to use and generally comes in a very nice all inclusive package (server, monitor, stand, keyboard, mouse, etc). Whereas with Fiery you pay for what you need. I found Fiery is about 25% more with the same features compared to Creo.

If in the future you are considering implementating a workflow please take a look at the workflow components available from EFI and Creo before selecting your RIP as they both have great workflow tools that tie nicely into the RIPs.

We went from Splash to Fiery to Creo with each new Xerox we had.
The Creo is much better (color quality and control, imposition). We don't do much VDP.

Choose CREO!
I am from fiery migrate to CREO, it is a much better RIP.
Faster, and the colour is always great!
Xerox is always push to sell Fiery because they got a good back up from EFI.
CREO doesn't put much technician because it's doesn't have much problem.
when I am with Fiery too much trouble with the RIP so I call xerox all the time.
and I feel bad with the colour problem that I need to adjust everytime.

I also do VDP with CREO, if you are using PDF it will not RIP correctly for big files, you need to use creo language file and it will run fast and smooth.

We use the Creo Rip on a BizHub 6500.
We use the Fiery Rip on a BizHub 450.
Creo has the mindset of a Litho/printing mentality. Much more adapt to printing world not just the "copy" world. It works awesome with our color profiles, and Variable Data, etc. Fast machine, easy to adjust color, and do calibrations on each stock as needed. We love the creo as soon as we demo'd it, the very week it was announced.

What are you using ?

What are you using ?

Hi there,

Not so much at the output side - that is, I think they both do a faily good job sending data to the output device - but i was curious to know before I answer - what VDP system are you using (or considering) ?

That is, describe what workflow and what you actually are 'sending' to the RIP.

MindFire is my favorite --> MindFire: Personalized URLs for Direct Mail Landing Pages.

VDP has many different languages and file formats?

https://www.adobe.com/products/vdp/indepth.html

or are you growing you own (Perl / Ruby ?

The Digital Nirvana » Blog Archive » Programming Languages for VDP

We have a Creo RIP at our shop. We do a good bit of VDP, using DesignMerge and InDesign CS3 -- files seem to process quickly and we have good results. Our color is also very good.

Hi Docugo,

What do you mean "Creo language file"? we fire pdf's at the Creo rip IC304 v2.1 straight from Prinergy 4.1.2.6 and it has a lot of transparency issues, I usually have to go back to the Epson plotter, maybe the "Creo language file" is the answer

Thanks

Creo is designed for VDP aplications, has an excelent color management but aplications like imposition, gradations and finishing are most user friendly in Fiery.

Fiery has additional aplications like compose and others that helps you to manage your jobs faster, and also has a best workflow integration.

You just asked which is better... Ford or Chevy. While both have their strong points, there is no single model/feature set which outshines the other. Same with the Fiery and CREO, it all comes down to application - what types of documents are you sending to them, what is the format, do you need the RIP to merge VDP data prior to print, how much (and what type) of color correction do you need, etc.

Beyond just picking the RIP, you need to look at how well the RIP is integrated with your print engine. The more integrated, the better off you will be (finite control over the engine itself).

So, which do you buy - the Camaro or the Mustang? Doesn't matter as long as it goes fast and you look good in it!

Mark H

It all depends on what you're trying to do and how you do it. I won't argue what is faster or better. They're both good products and they're even better when surrounded by they're own software.

By that I mean if you have a CREO RIP and also use Darwin (for VDP) and Prinergy (for prepress) you'll see a huge difference in how it all integrates.

In my shop we use Fiery for no other reason than it is easy to use, when we hire new people it's easy to get them up to speed. That's not the case with FreeFlow (Xerox) and definitely not the case with CREO.

Creo or Fiery

Creo or Fiery

We have used & currently have both.
Fiery has improved over the last few years with better features, etc. However, it still seems that Creo is more robust, faster, etc for VDP while Fiery is close if not equal on color management, imposition, etc.

Good Luck,

Dave

In my experience it seems there are usually three levels of RIP available. A cheap Fiery, a good Fiery, and a Creo. I have used two different lower end Fiery systems and they are just plain lacking. I really prefer not to use that machine if I don't have to. I have never used a good Fiery set-up (color control, imposition, etc.) but people seem to speak highly of them. I am now using my second Creo and will probably consider them first in future choices. It is a strong RIP with a lot of control over the imposition. This one (IC-304) is not as acute about the color as the previous (CXP6000) but still a good RIP. I come from a printing background so I think it is very intuitive. I also use Darwin for InD CS3 and have found it very comfortable. Darwin will not support transparency but as long as you can work around that it has been a very sufficient package for me.

Go with Creo...

Go with Creo...

VDP, I would go with CREO, I have used and sold both in very complex production environments, HOWEVER, be very clear with your CREO Rep. that you want in writing your support expectations, when you need help you expect help. You also want to get their input on the VDP applications you are using and/or are about to purchase, make sure they are signed off on them and will be supporting the workflow through the CREO Rip. Support , Support , Support. EFI usually wont be any better with the support, as I said I sold both for years.

Best of Luck!

CREO or Fiery

CREO or Fiery

I do understand that you mention these two RIP's. But did you know that Océ has a PRISMAsync color RIP that is certified by Objectiflune with PrintshopMail 7?

So looking at variabel data printing is looking at the workflow and the application that creates the variabel data.
If it is "'optimized postscript"' the Océ PRISMAsync is very fast.
If you want to use different variable data languages like PPML,VPS,Freeform or even a pre-ripped external data base you can use the CREO or EFI..

Leaning toward Creo

Leaning toward Creo

zBret,

Probably a little late for the reply, but on these subjects I like to see what others say to see what I can learn. I HAVE USED AND SUPPORTED SEVERAL RIPS OVER THE YEARS in cooperation with both EFI and Creo technical support. I saw exactly as expected in the posts; that you can ask 100 people the same question on this and you will get half saying Creo and half saying Fiery. You will also get 100 variations of why!

MY ANSWER: If you have a solid background in digital print (RIPS and work-flow) and have expertise in VDP and color management and TRULY NEED the opportunity to "play" with all the settings and work-flow attributes and can pay the higher price, go with Fiery. Otherwise I suggest CREO. It will do everything you need now and in the future, and it will do it cheaper and somewhat easier. The CREO language that was mentioned is "CREO VPS." It is faster and if you can get your application to emit that along with PS, PDF, etc it's a good thing. I worked for Oce and Eric is on target to some degree. I was the first US trainer for the PRISMAsync Color Controller last year, and it's not a bad machine and it's WAY less expensive than Fiery and CREO.

Call me if you want more help or direction: 413-262-1018

Good Luck,
Dwight Polglaze

While I've heard that CREO is easier to operate and learn, we have a Fiery controller on our C6501 Bizhub pro. In addition, we have software called 'Quite Imposing Plus' , an Adobe Acrobat Professional plug-in that we already had when we obtained the machine. So we use Quite Imposing for all our imposition work and just use the Fiery Color Control to build profiles. I would recommend the Fiery only because of my familiarity with it.

Hot-folders is a feature that makes everything more effective (EFI). Have never tested a creo-rip, and I wonder.. does it have a simular feature to speed up the work flow?

The general differentiation between those RIPs are the way they handle the data!

EFI:
RIP - Process - Print
The Fiery RIP holds the PS or the PDF printfile!

CREO:
RIP - Process - store the data in an internal fileformat RTP (ready to print) - Print
The CREO RIP is primarly working with the RTP filetype

That means more better (KODAK/CREO Marketing) flexibility with rasterimages after the RIP process

Colormanagement, both claim they are the best - anyway, EFI is using the latest ICC correction standars. KODAK/CREO is enabled to work with ICC profiles, but has no tool to make last edits on this ICC / Color correction for realy last changes before print. But this is workflwo philosophy, at wich stage in a workflow colors have to be corrected - EFI is on this more flexible.

In general is the printing apporach on an KODAK / CREO controller more the way like press user are working with their CTP enviroment - clear defined workflow and lets roll the engines ;-)

EFI from its past (Copierbusiness) is more the understanding, everything can be changed in the latest moment before printing starts.

VDP relevance for a RIP is not the application, a lot of posters that writes here are willing to present their SW solutions. Keep your eye on the VDP technology!

PPML - an open standard from PODI
VPS - the KODAK / CREO own standard (very fast very powerfull)
VIPP - the XEROX own standard (very powerfull in transactional applications)
optimized postscript - ADOBE standard (forget it)

The SW Solutions like XMpie, PS Mail, Lytrod, Planet Press, blablabla (100s available) are using those standards to manage the datacontent that are transferd to the rips!!

My personal impression was always that the KODAK / CREO RIP is more stable!

Rgds

Thomas

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back