CTP info wanted

RBA2000

Is there somebody out there with a lot of experience about CTP machines?
Like: what’s a good Computer to plate brand?
Or: is there a special kind of site with lots of information?

I ask this because, the firm I work for, is still working with film, (one of the only one in this Dutch country), but it’s time to expand the workflow.

We own a Heidelberg GTO 2-52 and a Heidelberg Printmaster OM 46-2.
The plates, now used are from AGFA (510 x 400 mm) for the GTO and Agfa (505 x 340).
Most of the files (from customers) are PDF but sometimes it’s from Quark Xpress.
But I am confused about a PDF Print Engine because, PDF to PDF…

Hi RBA,

Very few people will give you an independent view of what you might consider and even fewer (if any) people will have tested or had experience of a wide range of CtP devices and plates. I have.

What one would recommend will also depend on your requirements. So it's not really practical to write something that covers everything - it would be even longer... For example, someone who just wants to print 'club leaflets' doesn't need the same quality as someone who wants to print magazines, etc...

It also depends on your circumstances. If you have a dark room, then putting in a violet CtP device is easier than if you don't. If you already source from a certain supplier and have a good relationship with them, then just considering what they have can be a sensible thing to do.

My aim in life is always to be the best I can and do the best I can. So quality matters. If I were a printer, my aim would be to produce prints that are so good, that people don't give them a second thought; that is the print conveys the message and the print quality is so good that it's effectively ignored.

Given that, here's my take for what it's worth (based on having actually tested all these devices and plates in the last two years, including analysing the dot gain, dot quality (hilite and shadow), dot wear, etc... - yes really):

You say you want a CtP device, but then also mention PDF Print Engine, meaning you're also looking at a RIP / workflow.

Four things you need to look into:

1. RIP / Workflow.
2. CtP device.
3. Plates.
4. Lockins.

1. RIP / Workflow.
Here you need to work out what you want to do - print PS, print PDF, Trap, Impose, etc... - and take that to the various vendors to see if what they have fits. You can either buy a workflow from one of the big boys (which usually comes with a nice price tag), or build it yourself. If you're a small shop with a few employees, I think it's best to just get a RIP (assuming it does all you want). You don't really need a full blown workflow with MIS integration, JDF, etc...

APPE has been hyped by Adobe as much as PS used to be, so I'd ignore the hype and look at both Adobe solutions and Harlequin solutions. Those two are the best / standard. You can go elsewhere, which is typically cheaper, but you'll also find other products are not so fast (and I've tested some).

With Adobe you get either native PDF (APPE) or native PS (CPSI). With Harlequin you get native PDF & PS. Personally, I think Adobe made a mistake here and Hqn got it right. Although most jobs are PDF, not all are, so being able to natively process both is better. I know of companies that are not upgrading to APPE from CPSI because they still want to process PS, but if all you process is PDF, then that doesn't really matter. I'd certainly consider either (Adobe or Hqn).

Any workflow from Kodak, Agfa, FFEI, Heidelberg, Xitron, Compose, etc... should be fine. None of these are bad workflows, they just differ in price and functionality. If you're just buying a RIP, then you have an even wider choice.

2. CtP device.
Main thing here to my mind is to have a good supplier who will look after you; that is assuming you're purchasing a good device, which most are these days. You have a choice of thermal or violet CtP, which to my mind are both better than UV (due to the plate quality being higher - but I have not tested the latest Agfa UV plates which are rated quite highly, so that might change my opinion).

On the thermal side, the best devices are Screen. Lots of people re-badge them, so your Agfa device, Heidelberg device, FFEI device, etc... is probably a Screen. So you can purchase that from Agfa, Screen, and various other companies.

I've also seen very good results with Quantum, Lotem, Trendsetters and Magnus, etc... so nothing wrong with them.

Regarding Creo Square Spot, I think that in general it actually doesn't help screening (was used to reduce deficiencies in FM (first and second order) screening algorithms / plates and to gain marketing advantage), but that's another long detailed explanation, so will leave out.

[Having said that, the best newspaper CtP device I've tested is a Kodak News Generation IV with Square Spot using Kodak News Gold plates - awesome dot on plate that just refuses to wear.]

On the violet side, the best devices are FFEI Alinte, Dotline, Highwater Python / Cobra, ECRM Mako 200/400/800 and similar, as they all have very good optics. Which of these you go for depends on budget, space (some of these devices are really compact), supply and as I said service.

The other thing to consider is that for violet you will need a 'yellow room', which might tilt which way you go.

On the thermal side, chem plates are higher quality than processless plates. On the violet side, low-chem plates are higher quality than chem plates. So for thermal I'd go for chem plates but on violet I'd for low-chem plates, but that depends on the level of quality you want of course.

And of course there's automation - semi-automatic plate loading or automatic plate loading. Both come at a price, but if you have the money or require high throughput I'd consider that too - I like the cruise control on my little run-around, but then it didn't cost too much...

The latest high-end violet devices with the latest high-end violet plates come pretty close to the quality level of thermal devices with thermal plates, so if you want top quality, don't worry about violet vs thermal (as long as you get a high-end violet device and plate). If you want to print 300+ lpi AM (*) or 10 micron FM (**) then you have no choice but to go to thermal.

(*) Personally, I'd not go for 300+ lpi, as you can get far superior results with other technology, but that's another discussion entirely.

(**) Personally, I'd not got for 10 micron FM, as not only is it very demanding, but you can also get as good a result (to the naked eye) with other technology, but that's another discussion entirely.

I've also not mentioned the cost of replacing components, such as optics, which are typically much higher on a thermal device than a violet device. So check this out carefully.

3. Plate side.

On the thermal side you have a lot of choice of plates, as most are rated at 200+ lpi (apart from waterless plates which are rated lower - 175). Kodak plates are good, as are Agfa, Fuji and various others. If you're just doing 200 lpi, then you don't need to worry too much about which plates, so go for price and availability. If you're interested in specifics, I have tested dozens of plates from different manufacturers, so know a lot there.

Ironically, higher spec thermal plates can sometime show up issues on a thermal device, such as the head not aligned parallel to the drum, or the array of optics not exposing an equal dot, etc... (due to being 'too accurate' - a lower spec plate often produces a not so accurate dot which can hide such issues). So in this case, if all you want is 200 lpi screening, then don't necesarily go for a very high spec plate.

On the violet side, there are two plates I'd go with. Fuji ProV, which are the best, or Agfa AzuraV (not far behind though) - both of these will pretty closely match thermal plates for quality (unless you want 300+ lpi AM screening or 10 micron FM screening). Both are low-chem, which is good. Lots of other plates are good (Fuji NV, Fuji NV2, S'Litho, IBF Million, Agfa N92, Technova Viostar,...) - fine if all you want to do is 175 lpi, with lots of printers pushing them to 200 lpi - but they're not as good as the ProV/AzuraV.

There are some plates I'd steer well clear of - but I'm not going to post what they are.

I'd also check where the plates are made. I've been told a lot by various companies around the world about issues when sourcing from certain places, as well as first hand experience.

And then there's availability - make sure you can get a reliable supply - and of course price.

There's a lot more I know, but can't disclose due to NDAs, such as some new plates that are coming out, or upgrades to existing plates that improve them a lot (and I won't disclose off-line either), but if you're talking to a manufacturer, ask them if they have anything in the pipeline that's coming out, either in the short or medium term.

4. Lockins.

Beware of what some companies offer. A lot of workflows that claim to be open are not. By open, some mean that you can input PDF / PS. By open, some mean that you can import TIFF, but it'll cost you eight grand as it's an option. By open, some mean that you can add any CtP device, but only certain ones are really supported.

So check very carefully as to what you are buying into and what you might want to do in the future. You might find that what is offered now fits perfectly, but later on when you want to add something, you either can't, or it'll cost you a packet.

You'll also find that if you want to try adding a module from another company, some suppliers will help you, but some won't at all. So again think of what you might want to do in the future.

Hope that helps. It's all quite general. There are a lot more CtP devices and plates I've tested, evaluated or compared, but I think that this post is long enough - I've not even mentioned inkjet 'ctp' (ala G&J), polyester ctp (ala DPX), laser ctp, etc... which I also know quite a lot about, but doing so would be too much.

With more information on what you want, I can offer a lot more specific and detailed advice (but it would have to be offline), so that will do for now.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
.:Hamillroad Software | Products | FirstPROOF:.
.:Hamillroad Software | Welcome:.

[SNIP]Regarding Creo Square Spot, I think that in general it actually doesn't help screening (was used to reduce deficiencies in FM (first and second order) screening algorithms / plates and to gain marketing advantage), but that's another long detailed explanation, so will leave out.

Just to set the record straight Creo SquareSpot was not "used to reduce deficiencies in FM (first and second order) screening algorithms / plates" but that's another long detailed explanation that is not for me to go into.

best, gordo

Hi Andy,

Heidelberg has not manufactured a Screen based device since the Topsetter CtP in the mid 2000's. Our Suprasetter CtP is designed and manufactured by us. By the way, we do offer a Suprasetter A52 which is a 2 up CtP designed for the needs of a GTO 52 and QM 46 format press. There are not many thermal 2 up CtP devices out on the market

Regards,

Mark

Hi RBA,
CtP

On the thermal side, the best devices are Screen. Lots of people re-badge them, so your Agfa device, Heidelberg device, FFEI device, etc... is probably a Screen. So you can purchase that from Agfa, Screen, and various other companies.

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,

@ Andy, hats off to you for the unbiased advice, a rare occurrence in such forums. Well almost unbiased should I say, since you've included the rather obscure Dotline and Highwater machines in the violet platesetter list.
@ RBA2000, a fifth issue is the kind of service and support you will be receiving from the supplier. This is just as important. Ask the supplier how much maintenance is required, is a service contract mandatory or not (weird but true), how much will the laser cost, visit at least two other similar equipment owners run some tests and see the machines yourself.

Hi Maxon,

@ Andy, hats off to you for the unbiased advice, a rare occurrence in such forums. Well almost unbiased should I say, since you've included the rather obscure Dotline and Highwater machines in the violet platesetter list.

So there's no misundestanding...

The bias in what I wrote is purely related to the devices I've used / tested and the opinions I've formed from doing so (and is related to my aims as stated). For example, I don't mention Presstek's devices, such as the Dimension, as I've not had access to one to test.

I have no commercial relationship with Dotline at all, either directly or indirectly. I've just tested on them and seen that they have very good optics and so produce good plates.

Highwater are selling our s/w, so there I do, however, my bias there is that a printer very close to me has a Highwater Python, is using some 'not yet announced' software of ours and is achieving stunning results - this is down to (a) our s/w (of course), (b) the device which has very good optics (one of the best I've used) and (c) the plates - Fuji ProV (which are one of the best violet plates I've used).

Having said that, I also have a commercial relationship with ECRM, but only listed the Mako 200/400/800 (a big improvement over the Mako 2/4/8 - which is fine if you have different aims). So I think I have been unbiased in what I've written.

I have no commercial relationship with Screen, Fuji, Agfa, Presstek, Dotline, FFEI, Adobe (and lots more). I do with Xitron and Compose. Our s/w is integrated into / works with the Hqn RIP (and of course I founded the Harlequin RIP division and was the original creator of the Hqn RIP, so do have strong links there). You can see all that on our web site.

I can backup / prove everything I've said with print samples et al (which have included detailed tests of bit / dot patterns / structure on the various devices - both hilites, mid-tones and shadows). Those that are not under NDA I can show to anyone who cares to come to my office.

I should also say that I've tested various other devices (and plates) that I did not list - Heidelberg Suprasetter, Luscher Xpose (UV), Basysprint 850 (and others), EscherGrad Cobalt, Presstek Vector, Presstek DI 45, ... but did not list them. That's because they either only involved a quick / partial test, or were tested a long time ago with a very early development version of our s/w, or I didn't do enough testing to form an opinion.

PS Thanks Mark for clearing up any misunderstandings over your devices. I've tested on two Suprasetters (one briefly a long time ago and one in progress - so no firm opinion yet) and knew they were your device, but thought that you had another device that was Screen (which from what you say was the TopSetter).

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,

Wouw on reply CtP info wanted

Wouw on reply CtP info wanted

Dear Andy,

Let me first excuse myself for the late response on your mail.
I’m sorry that I didn’t react at once.
Having a full agenda, lots of orders and weird problems on the job (moiré in four color from CS5 files, for example) is not an excuse for reacting this late on your pretty (read: very) good info about CtP devices.
It helps me a lot and gives me a good picture of what is going on in the prepress world.

For as far as I can see it now, we have a lot of choices.
Of course we have to weigh the cost of the platesetter against the plates we are pushing through it, for now and, who now’s, in the future.
And talking about the future, it’s all green (environmentally friendly) these days.
Because we still creating films, we do have a dark room but I guess it’s a smart step to reduce the amount of nasty chemicals when moving to CtP.
We consider not only to process PDF, a lot of clients still work with Quark (for example) and it’s like you mention before, quality matters, so we like to offer more then only PDF.
I am not saying “PDF is not good”, there is just more then PDF in de world.

For now, thanks a lot again.
Ray.

Confused again!

Confused again!

Still looking for CtP info, devices, RIP tech and more but now I am confused about the term : 2up, 4-6up, 8up CtP.

The Speedsetter VM2 CTP is 2up but what does it mean?
I guess I know it but are not completely sure.
I know: sounds like a stupid question but better be safe than sorry.
Ray.

Hi Ray,

This refers to the output format size in relation to approximately how many pages can you fit on a sheet. A SM 52 has a plate size of 454 mm × 525 mm with a maximum sheet size of 360 mm × 520 mm. With a standard size imposed book, this would accommodate two pages up. The Suprasetter A52 will image this and smaller plate sizes. A 4up would be a SM74 with a plate size of 605 mm × 745 mm and sheet of 530 mm × 740 mm. You can impose 4 standard pages on a sheet. The next size up would be the XL 75 with a plate size of 660 mm × 745 mm and sheet size 605 mm × 750 mm. This is also known as a 6 up. The Suprasetter A75 will accommodate all of these. An 8 up will accommodate 8 standard pages imposed such as the SM 102 with a plate size of 790 mm × 1,030 mm and max sheet size of 720 mm × 1,020 mm. Suprasetter 105 will accommodate all of the plate sizes below. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark

Still looking for CtP info, devices, RIP tech and more but now I am confused about the term : 2up, 4-6up, 8up CtP.

The Speedsetter VM2 CTP is 2up but what does it mean?
I guess I know it but are not completely sure.
I know: sounds like a stupid question but better be safe than sorry.
Ray.

Dear all,

kindly give information about the periodical preventive maintenance of a violet ctp for its better life.. what all the activities should carried out during preventive maintenance ? which is good ,quarterly or biannual preventive maintenance ?. Right now we are using agfa violet ctp.

Thanks for your reply

Dear all,

kindly give information about the periodical preventive maintenance of a violet ctp for its better life.. what all the activities should carried out during preventive maintenance ? which is good ,quarterly or biannual preventive maintenance ?. Right now we are using agfa violet ctp.

Thanks for your reply

Hi,
I happy to see someone understand the importance of Maintenance Program for his Machine.
What kind of Agfa Violet CTP and Processor do you have? Send me an Email to [email protected]. I will provide you with the Preventive Maintenance Program.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply

We are using Agfa screen PFR 2055 ctp ( Agfa palladio ) and G&J Raptor 68 polymer processor. Kindly give the Preventive maintenance program for the same and its importance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back