Custom screen angel sets in TF

eran

This is a process I've not experimented with before (with the exception of inverted halftones) but I found some interesting information on a PrintPlanet member's blog that I'd like to try out. In this case we'll be printing a series of duotones and the recommendation is 45Ëš (dark color and 75Ëš (light color).

I'm not sure how TF handles spot color angles other than the options are "Screen as C,M,Y,K" or "Auto" but what does the auto function apply? In this instance, I should be able to apply the above angles just by using the appropriate "Screen as..." option but does the Auto feature already perform a similar function? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks!

Screens screen angles

Screens screen angles

Screens default screen angels coming out of trueflow are;
C-15 degrees
M- 45 degrees
Y- 0 degress
K- 75 degrees

Keep this in mind because it's not the norm for US print shops but as Trueflow is world wide this is their default.

That's great to know, Keith. Thanks.

So is the US standard 15C, 75M, 0Y, 75K?

Screens default screen angels coming out of trueflow are;
C-15 degrees M- 45 degrees Y- 0 degress K- 75 degrees

Keep this in mind because it's not the norm for US print shops but as Trueflow is world wide this is their default.

For a duotone the recommendation is 45Ëš (dark color and 75Ëš (light color).
If you need to assign your duotone screen angles according to the screening sequence in your RIP then.
Use Cyan (15 degrees) for the light color and Magenta (45 degrees) for the dark color.

best gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: The Wayback View - A visit to Sun Chemical Ink, 1951 (video post)

Hrm. It was actually your blog that's got me into all of this mess, Gordon.
Thanks!

Given Trueflow's defaults (per Keith's post) wouldn't I want to screen my dark color as M and my light as K though?

Also, part of this is wondering how Trueflow handles duotones when it's in "Auto" mode.
I may do a side by side test run to see the results on press.

Hrm. It was actually your blog that's got me into all of this mess, Gordon.
Thanks!
Given Trueflow's defaults (per Keith's post) wouldn't I want to screen my dark color as M and my light as K though?

My apologies!

I suggested Cyan (15 degrees) for the light color and Magenta (45 degrees) for the dark color only if TF assigned screens in this order C-15 degrees, M- 45 degrees, Y- 0 degrees, K- 75 degrees - the duotone would pick up the first two angles. If not then, yes as you say, M would be your dark color and K would be your light.
Some workflows allow you to assign specific angles to specific process and non-process colors. Some just cycle through the angles in sequence. I'm not familiar with how TF handles screen assignments.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
So I just got a response from the folks over at Screen regarding how Trueflow handles multiple spots by default. Apparently the first spot angles as cyan, the second as magenta, and then any additional colors alternate between the same two screens. That seems a bit iffy. Its a good thing we don't really print much beyond that.

I'm really glad I came across your blog though, now I really want to run a tritone piece!

To digress a hint... judging that in Trueflow, Cyan and Magenta screen at 15/45 respectively, this is essentially identical to the 45/75 that you recommend... right? The main factor being the light/dark colors are angled appropriately?

So I just got a response from the folks over at Screen regarding how Trueflow handles multiple spots by default. Apparently the first spot angles as cyan, the second as magenta, and then any additional colors alternate between the same two screens. That seems a bit iffy. Its a good thing we don't really print much beyond that.
I'm really glad I came across your blog though, now I really want to run a tritone piece!
To digress a hint... judging that in Trueflow, Cyan and Magenta screen at 15/45 respectively, this is essentially identical to the 45/75 that you recommend... right? The main factor being the light/dark colors are angled appropriately?

Yup! You are good to go. Disappointing that TF just cycles through C & M though. That makes tritones problematic, and might also impact your ability to do Hi-Fi color (4/C +) should you want to try that in the future. Ideally a workflow would allow to assign screen angles to specific colors manually, or at the least cycle through all 4 (to do tritones and quadtones) available screens.

Good luck with your duos.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: Custom Halftone Dots

Trueflow spot colors screen angles

Trueflow spot colors screen angles

Hello all,

To answer Gordo's question, yes you can assign specific screen angels to spot color on output. This is done on the RipforRecorder icon, just make an edit when going to output and go down to the spot color selection and pick your C, M, Y, or K screen angle. Just gotta keep in mind the defaults screen angles the Trueflow uses, of course screens default angles can be changed to what we were all used to before back in the old film days if wanted.

Just gotta keep in mind the defaults screen angles the Trueflow uses, of course screens default angles can be changed to what we were all used to before back in the old film days if wanted.

Just to be clear, because your wording might suggest that the Trueflow defaults are somehow more contemporary or better suited to CtP, the screen angle sets used in Europe (ROW) vs the ones used in N. America have nothing to do with the old film days. Both screen angle sets were the respective standard used pre-CtP.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: dot gain/TVI

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back