Customer First

gordo

528 Customer First.jpg

There are a couple of local printers that outsource the majority of their work to trade shops. We do so once in a while, but not often. One of the biggest problems with farming out jobs, is that our customers frequently call in and want to see a press proof and then make changes, yet still want the job to be delivered at the originally promised date.

What do these shops do that farm stuff out??? Unless they were open about the fact they outsource it, I would think it would be pretty embarrassing. We have had a number of clients ask us point blank if we outsource their jobs and in a few cases even wanted to see our equipment.

If I'm talking to the customer, I'll explain that sometimes it costs less to outsource, then give them the spiel about getting the best price for the customer.

We rarely outsource stuff and when I do I'm super upfront about it. Like, hey, this job will cost less if we outsource it but you're taking risks in that we can't run a press proof ahead of time. We can print a sample in-house but it's not going to look the same etc. It seems to be about 50/50 whether the customer cares about the print quality vs. the price. Those that care about the print quality won't usually opt for outsourcing it and those that don't care are usually fine with it.

There are a couple of local printers that outsource the majority of their work to trade shops. We do so once in a while, but not often. One of the biggest problems with farming out jobs, is that our customers frequently call in and want to see a press proof and then make changes, yet still want the job to be delivered at the originally promised date.

What do these shops do that farm stuff out??? Unless they were open about the fact they outsource it, I would think it would be pretty embarrassing. We have had a number of clients ask us point blank if we outsource their jobs and in a few cases even wanted to see our equipment.
One reply is to say it is being done in our other factory. If pushed on the matter one can say that it is a company with which you have a reciprocal arrangement - you print stuff for them and they print stuff for you - it’s just a way of sharing the burden when one or other of you has too much work in one go.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back