DC250 bustled RIP hit by cosmic ray

che.c

Odd one here.. I was away from my desk doing some folding and when I came back CWS told me that it has lost the connection to the printer. It wasn't doing anything at the time and had run a couple of jobs out fine earlier on that day.

Now the b*stard RIP just has "FF" (For F•cksake) where it usually has its countdown numbers. Also the green light on the back doesn't come on any more. Have checked all the leads and done any number of combinations involving powering it off, the DIP switches and leads.

Any suggestions? Anybody else experienced anything like this?

I just thought I'd put up a post here before I FF it with a hammer..

is there an error code in the wee displays...the time we had FF it was a hard drive failure in the rip...although sometimes it can be memory not sitting correctly. them dip switches should only be touched when you are reloading the RIP software via the network cable. if all else fails and you dont have software support and they are going to charge to fix...just insert the EFI disc into a laptop or PC, flip the dip switches as it says...plug the network cable directly into your laptop (not a crossover cable) and relaod the RIP and see if it boots

Thanks for the ideas, I got the engineers out in the end and they took it apart, tried some different parts and it didn't work. Gave up and put it back as it was and the wee goit just worked flawlessly.

Computers for you..

For the record, the light was solid on FF and the green light on the back of the unit didn't come on.

The engineers reseated the RAM, tried a new hard drive and tried new RAM and none of it helped. Apparently reseating an interior ribbon cable might have caused the green LED on the back to come back on and then it was working after that. Then again it might have been the goat we sacrificed.

Who knows?

the ribbon cable can also cause it...we had a faulty one of them cables which was being very very intermitent! they replaced it and it worked fine ever since

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back