Defining incorrect PDF element so I can fix it via action list/automation

HJL

First time poster her, hope I dont piss everyone off. I am fairly new to printing, and act moreso as IT (which is my field) than prepress. Im hoping you guys can help me with an issue.

We have recently put in a switch server, for the primary purpose of fixing 4 colour black, checking for more than one page, and im sure lots more in the future. I feel as though we are scratching the surface only at this point.

Most of the PDF files we encounter just need an action list ran through to convert RGB to CMYK, spot colours, 4 CLR black, etc. Works wonderfully.

I have even went as far as to create me own action list with its own submit point so if the prepress staff run into an ad or something that is about 60% of the 4 colours, it converts it to black as well, but only as its needed.

The problem we have run into now is we have some elements on a page that are 4 colour black, but as an element it doesnt show up to have an action list run against it.

Let me explain further. We have an ad that is placed on a PDF colour page. The add is black, and when you view the output preview, and turn off black, it shows up as black...looks like 4 colour black. However when I use the enfocus inspector and select the ad, it doesnt show ANY CMYK values. I am told whoever built the ad in photoshop didnt save it properly. So, if I cant 'check' the page for this type of ad, since I cant define it in pitstop, I cant run an action against it. We are currently clicking the ad, and converting it to greyscale and away it goes. I am just trying to define it, so I can convert it to greyscale via automation/action list.

Our operation only prints the stuff, and has no control over stopping it from happening in the future. We simply need to fix it, run it, and yes, inform the customer of the problem...hopefully less in the future is all I want.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back