DeltaE Tolerancing

Cory Smith

158-DeltaE-Tolerancing.jpeg

"DeltaE2000......it's SO last decade....I'm waiting for dE2013 but I hear it's still in beta"

:)

Terry

OK, didn't anyone notice the difference between the vendor and user use of Delta E?
Hmmmm,?
G

It was the first thing that I noticed but I didn't know if it was intentional, and if it was, it was over my head. :)

True story...
A few months ago had a quality inspector attempt to reject pallets and pallets worth of product due to a color problem. He sent us this nice report from his software showing me as being 4.3dE out for this special match blue color. He was using dE76 instead of their document prescribed dECMC2:1. But we go ahead and start checking our retains under all dE formulas and we are still <3dE. We call to discuss. He then tells us 'it must be your spectro'. Well 'the customer is always right' so we re-measure with 3 different devices and get near-identical results. Finally our QM asks for a copy of the certification papers and specs of the device they are using for incoming inspections. Turns out to be a ~5 year old device that hadn't been sent off for certification for 3 years. When presented with a report from 3 devices on our end and a suggestion that he replace his device or at minimum have it recertified annually. He responded 'well, i'll write an exception this time as this is a visual match but you need to get your printing department straightened out.'

Are you kidding me?

(Originally Posted by gordo OK, didn't anyone notice the difference between the vendor and user use of Delta E?Hmmmm,? G)

I thought that was so obvious it wasn't even worth mentioning......but maybe not everybody?

tw

For those who didn't "get" that part of the strip - see the attached clip from my blog. There's a reason why vendors and printers might use different formulas to calculate color difference (and not let you know).

best, gordo

Attachments

• Tolerancing.jpg
    Tolerancing.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 175

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back