Demotivated

gordo

526 Demotivated.jpg

The first mistake was thinking anyone would ever give praise. You get paid, right? (snark)
The second mistake is not learning about intrinsic motivation.
Don't count on anyone else to make, or keep, you happy.
Hard to do but gratifying.
Daniel Pink should be your friend. ;-)

Never forget when I first learned typesetting on a Compugraphic Editwriter in a small place off Canal Street in NYC . . . this was the early '80s . . . the owner looked over my shoulder and said, "Looks like shit." Motivated me to get the hell out.

the owner looked over my shoulder and said, "Looks like shit."
Those were the days when Linotype machines ruled. That same comment has been echoed whenever there was a technology shift, making things faster & cheaper, but it takes time to obtain better.

That same comment has been echoed whenever there was a technology shift

Saw several letterpress operators eventually lose their jobs because they couldn't adapt to offset. They were required to learn & run an offset machine part of the day because there was no longer enough letterpress work.
Used to work with a guy who'd get pissed at the Compugraphic (I *think* it was a Compugraphic) because he typed too fast & the machine couldn't keep up. Same guy could take galleys of type, wax them, cut them up and paste up perfectly straight every time. Never needed a t-square or any guide.

Those were the days when Linotype machines ruled. That same comment has been echoed whenever there was a technology shift, making things faster & cheaper, but it takes time to obtain better.
Some of it did look bad if you used the cheaper kind of paper in the machine. I remember some that made the type actually fuzzy, and another that was almost like a plastic finish that kept the lettering very crisp. I believe that one was branded ZRC.

Compugraphic - blast from the past. I started out on a Comp IV.
Wow! I remember the Comp IV (Oops, missed a character.Time to retype). The “Dread-it Writers” were quite an advancement as long as you didn’t scratch the film strip and put in the correct width card. The MCS 8400 with PowerView was the greatest leap before personal computers came into the picture. Thanks for the memory.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back