DeskPack Flexo Tools for Photoshop

tommrz

We are pressure sensitive label shop running Mark Andy flexo presses. We specialize in prime labels. We have been using most of the Desk Pack plugins for Illustrator for quite awhile and are fairly pleased with them. We are now looking at the Flexo Tools Photoshop plugin.
Has anyone out there had any real world experience using these plugins? I would like to hear some opinions about how well the software works, how intuitive it is and if it is worth the money.
Also, does anyone know of any books, videos or training programs out there that would deal with flexo specific image manipulation in Photoshop?

DeskPack tools for PhotoShop

DeskPack tools for PhotoShop

Esko's Ink Tools for Photoshop can provide you with quick image fixes for creating skeleton blacks and generally modifying saturations, etc. But their usefulness is diminished if you are imaging direct to a flexo plate due to the inherent sharpening in the process, and with their HD flexo, they promote that no image manipulation is needed, though I believe that is nothing more than a false selling proposition.

There is another DeskPack Photoshop tool named "Flexo Tools for Photoshop." This one primarily offers an easy way to remap inks into a "modified process" separation set of inks, so for instance, Cyan to PMS 300, Magenta to PMS 184, etc.

Both these tools are expensive at $7500 each, but I have seem where the company offers promotional deals that allow you to purchase both for $7500. Not cheap, by any means, especially if you are skilled at Photoshop already, but they can help the novice.

Thanks Talking Tech. Thats just it, I am a novice at preparing Photoshop images for the "Flexo" process. I come from a Litho background and am very comfortable handling images for that process. I just don't know the pitfalls and work arounds for the Flexo process yet. I have searched the internet for Flexo specific training materials but have come up empty.
Any idea where I might find some good information on this process?

Here is a link to a video on FlexoTools for PhotoShop.
EskoArtWork - Software Demos - MediaPlayer home

If you are a EskoArtwork customer you can download the manuals for FlexoTools and Ink Tools for PhotoShop at www.eskolink.com - go to Support/Documentation/DeskPack3. - EskoLink is a secure EskoArtwork user/customer only website that requires a login and password, on which you can find product information, downloads, your service call status, training information, and more. A great resource.

If you are interested you may also contact your EskoArtwork rep. You can start here : Contact EskoArtworks with a question or remark

While the Esko answer is to purchase more software, I think you are correct to first explore what standard tools and methods are used to compensate images for flexo press gain.

I don't know where you are located, but I assume there should be some regional resources that can help you. I would start with the Flexographic Technical Association to find out what training they can offer:
Flexographic Technical Association - FFTA Events & Seminars
You can also check out these resources:
training

In the end, it's best to have the know-how and not just rely on a software preset. Even if you do end up purchasing Esko's Ink Tools, you still need to have a better understanding of what you need to do to optimize the end result. The software doesn't know your presses and process -- there are still variables you need to adjust in the Ink Tools software. So I recommend doing your homework before you shell out any more money to a software manufacturer.

Also keep in mind that the adjustments you have made with those plugins are destructive. In most cases there is no way back.
If you are used to work with adjustment layers in Photoshop you know you can always go back to the original. In my case this is verry important.
Like Talking Tech said its very important to know what you are doing, plugins can be a help but wont solve the knowledge problems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back