difference between speedmaster cd102 and SM102?

Albert Noel

can someone please explain the difference between a speedmaster SM102 and a speedmaster CD102?

having a debate with a co-worker about this. neither of us know.

Hi Albert, never run either so not sure of the specific deifferences but D stands for carton Device (i'd assume it would have extra sheet guides all over the press in addition to other things)

CDs are meant for heavy board stock ie:24pt and such

Not that the other machine won't handle it but with the CD there is minimal if any chance of marking or slap do to paper thickness with heavy ink coverage.

I'm sure someone will explain it better but those are the words I got when the Heidelberg techs were installing our sm74.

If it were my buck on the line I would have went with the CD.

Last edited:
The CD102 has double size impression cylinder and triple size transfer cylinder which gives the sheet a smoother path through the press. The SM102 has a larger number of smaller cylinders to pass the sheet meaning more bend to the sheet and more gripper changes.
CD can run thicker stock with far fewer marking problems.
You can download the spec sheets for each machine from Heidelberg's website which show a diagram of the cylinder configurations.
I don't run a CD any more but I wish I did!

ok i thought that the CD stood for carton device (ie: more sheet guiding devices)
thanks for clearing that up.
do they process thin stocks as well as they do with the heavier stuff?
for example, can you run 18pt c2s and then switch to 50lb uncoated right after and have it run just as well?
obviously the 102 stands for 102cm (or 40 inches)

I've attached some cross section of both presses. This will answer your question.

the 10 color is a Sm, the 6 color is a CD

Attachments

• static_sm102_540x200.gif
    static_sm102_540x200.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • static_cd102_540x114.gif
    static_cd102_540x114.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 679
the only advantage of the sm over the cd is that the sm can be equipped with a perfector, while the cd cannot (officialy)

The CD is by far the better configuration, much quicker to wash up as there are no transfer cylinders to clean, or to get dented by a folded sheet like the transfer jackets on the SM, no marking problems on the sheet's journey through the press, and if you want to run thin stock, you can run with the shells in.
Right now I am running a 105XL which is a great press, with lots on new design features over the old CD's.

CD

CD

I am not sure if is standard or oprional, but we had a CD with automatic presetting for feeding and delivery (air setting), almost the same like the one present in XL machines.

Up to 4 colors you have the choice between preset and preset PLUS (feeder and delivery of the XL). Anything above that is preset PLUS Feeder as standard, and optional preset PLUS delivery. But that is the case for the SM and the CD

I have been running a 102 CD for the Past 15 years, An 8 Color with a Coater and now a 6 Color with a Coater, We run alot of 24pt board and alot of #50 stock. We never have had to put shells in the Press to run the lighter weight sheet.The CD is My Press of choice for sure.

ive found that the older cd presses would need the shells if you were printing anything less than say an 70# coated sheet. The newer cd presses manage the air much better and the need for shells to give the sheet shape has been eliminated

I used to run a CD Best press I ever ran! Fast make ready awesome feeder very user friendly.Diff between 102 and CD is price also. Runs thick board all day long no marking or scuffing. I run a Komori now and it prints well and is a alright press but I'm sure if we did a survey 9 out of ten pressmen would run a CD over a Komori. The economy the way it is Komori is far cheaper so it is becoming more popular. You can't go wrong with the CD it will eat through the work!

Hi,

I am a printer and print basically coated 150gsm to 220gsm paper.

I am looking to buy a SM102(1987 to1995 model) or CD (1989 t 1996 model). A perfector (1+4) would work as well.
Can you please suggest which one shall i go for?
Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back