Digital Print PDF Proofing

Josh

Hello Forumers,

I know this has been discussed a few times before, however I've read through the previous conversations and nothing seems to fit the bill.

It's probably easiest if I explain our situation (I imagine various parts are similar to lots other others!)

Our current workflow (I use the term loosely!)

We operate a web2print operation, I won't go into too much detail but essentially customers provide us with PDFs (ideally), JPEGs, TIFFS or (worse case scenario) Word or Powerpoint docs.

Our work varies from business cards, flyers and folded leaflets to saddle stitched booklets and 200+ page perfect/wire bound docs.

We check the submitted files are correct in InDesign (size, have bleed etc) and if we get any errors we run the file through Pitstop to identify them. We then output the revised file from InDesign as a PDF/x file with bleed/marks etc and provide this to the customer as a PDF proof, essentially so they can check page order, mark positions etc.

Once this file is OKed by the customer we send it to one of 3x Digital machines (2x DC5000s with Creo or 1xMono Machine).

Issues we're getting

The main problem we've got with this is that the PDF customers get isn't a "ripped" raster file. There's potentially still the possibility something will go wrong with the file once it's ripped on the Creo.

The Creos do allow a "PDF2GO" output which is raster data, however the Print view version of this creates a file which is far too large to email or even FTP, we're talking 500mb+ as a minimum. The Screen view of the PDF2GO gives a compressed version but this goes too far to the other extreme.... everything is too pixelated on this PDF.

We work with a couple of Litho printers who provide PDF proofs via email - these are generated by their Prinect workflow and provide a decent quality PDF but also at a sensible size - but crucially picking up on any missing fonts etc.

Essentially I'm wondering if there's a standalone version of this which could be used within a digital workflow?

I'd also be interested to hear how everyone else handles their PDF workflows/approval process - especially when working remotely (by email etc).

I think there are 2 approaches to this.

You can emulate as close as you can to a "dot-for-dot" ripped proof. I suspect this is the approach Prinect takes. The problem with this is that it relies heavily on close integration with the destination RIP, or in fact is generated by that RIP. That makes a lot of sense in a litho environment, where one platemaker serves several presses, but doesn't work so well in a mixed environment with multiple RIPs from multiple vendors. It also makes sense in an environment with high end proofing requirements, where a knowledgeable customer base has high expectations of the information they can get from a proof.

The other approach is to normalise the incoming PDFs so that they will, as far as possible, render consistently on any of your RIPs. Essentially, you are removing the variables that can be interpreted differently by different RIPs and handing back to the customer a "proof" that you KNOW will render accurately. You have to have a robust and intelligent workflow with something like Pitstop or Callas Server in the middle of this. This is the approach we take and while not perfect, we have very close to zero job rejects due to ripping errors or errors that could have been identified at the proofing stage.

I know that just scratches the surface, but I hope it helps?

The Creos do allow a "PDF2GO" output which is raster data, however the Print view version of this creates a file which is far too large to email or even FTP, we're talking 500mb+ as a minimum. The Screen view of the PDF2GO gives a compressed version but this goes too far to the other extreme.... everything is too pixelated on this PDF.

I'd also be interested to hear how everyone else handles their PDF workflows/approval process - especially when working remotely (by email etc).

Josh, the product that we distribute for remote hi-resolution approvals is Kodak InSite Creative Workflow. The owner of the solution uploads the large original file, however the approver/reviewer is only served the small amount of data that they need to view the file at the current monitor pan/crop/zoom level (using patented pixel streaming technology). This software works with PDF, AI, INDD packages (fonts/links and InDesign file), TIFF, EPS, PSD etc.

If you have a Kodak Prinergy workflow system, a similar product for only PDF files is available - Kodak InSite PrePress Portal.

KODAK INSITE Creative Workflow System - Kodak Graphic Communications Group
KODAK INSITE Prepress Portal System - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

That's kind of what I was wondering about, although it's a bit off-topic here. How are you keeping your color consistency with a PDF proof system vs. the final output? Have you had any problems with your customers coming back to you about problems with the output color not matching the PDF color?

I've worked in a "see what you're gonna get" environment, with sign-off on the printed product. I've had too many clients that wanted to reject a job because the final output color didn't match the PDF proof color.

Just curious.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back