Digital Technology Advice

MailGuru

Without the title, seems I've now inherited the responsibility of a Chief Technology Officer (pushing the company direction into cross media such as W2P, E-mail, Purl, Social, Mobile, etc.) I do have a programming background, but, not much having to do with Web applications. Any advice or words of wisdom (besides run for the hills!) ?

Hi and congratulations with your new responsibility!

- What kind of programming have you done before?
- What kind of shop do you work in?

Shop is basically digital print/mail/& fulfillment. Programming has been geared toward data base manipulation and clean up (Visual FoxPro, DB, Access, etc.). We use XMPie for digital variable, and, as I understand it, that software contains modules to generate e-mail, Purl, etc, so, shouldn't be too bad.........

I whould have started with some kind of analysis of the workflow and customer needs. Its very tempting to create big flashy systems for w2p etc, but at the end of the day it boils down to what your customers are comfortable with.

I have worked with a variety of web clients over the years, and witnessed tens of thousands of dollars fly out the window on software solutions that where far to advanced for the customers needs.

- Do your customers request w2p?
- How is jobs submitted today? Via memory-stick, e-mail, ftp etc

Thanks Norwegian! You just put me back on the right track! Start with narrowing down and specifically defining customer needs. I think I may have just been a little over-whelmed. We have an old country saying down here in the South: "When you're up to your -ss in alligators, it's easy to forget that your original intention was to drain the swamp"!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back