Digital Test Form

Mark H

When you buy a car you might read the reviews, even watch a professional drive it, but in the end most of us want to test drive the machine we're going to buy. I've read the Bertl reviews on the 2 color print engines I'm considering buying. Both are rated strongly, and I've convinced both vendors to provide me with a trial unit for 2 weeks for onsite testing.

So, now I need to come up with a set of tests that I can put each print engine through and then compare with our current system (offset 4/4 with 1/0 vdp via a km1050). Reading the Bertl reports I keep seeing reference to digital test files, both the Agfa Test Forms and the Bertl DTP Booklet.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a freebie out there that provides reasonable results?

Thanks,

Mark H

There are a number of freely available test forms on the internet, that combine both raster and vector elements. Most of the free links that I have at hand are raster and RGB based, coming from photography more than graphic arts (mostly printer, some for monitor calibration)...

Images

Neil Barstow Downloads

Colour-Science digital test images for monitor and Printer calibration

http://digitaldog.net/files/Printer_Test_file.jpg.zip

Monitor calibration and gamma

Test Prints

RGB Reference Images

New "ECI 2002" target and conversion tools [ECI.ORG]

Altona Test Suite - Online Version 1.2 available for downloading [ECI.ORG]

This is a start, however the Altona Test Suite is one of the best and contains both raster and vector elements in both RGB and CMYK and Spot (which I don't think is free).

EDIT: I have uploaded a vector/raster test file that I created a few years ago, it is a PDF created in AI 9 and then opened and resaved in AI CS2, ZIP file compressed.
http://www.screencast.com/users/Stephen_Marsh/folders/Test Forms and Targets

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I have used the free pdf altona download as a test chart from eci.org
it has vector/raster and does test the whole of your workflow from pdf file - print

plus a 'fogra style' test strip to verify to standard suitable for your measurement hardware and software

Edwin

You are welcome
note that the altona visual file has one spot colour called 'orange' top right square and the maximum ink occurs on the top gradient square
edwin

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back