digital watermarking

alu

Hi guys,

After doing 'free' design for a few clients hoping to get the print job, I have had people leave with the print ready PDF proof that I gave them to go down the street to the next print shop.

Being new to the business I have been a bit naive when it comes to trusting clients.

What is the recommended way to show people digital proofs of the work? Google tells me there are some paid programs that will digitally watermark my PDF. Does anyone here have experience with such applications?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Give them 72 dpi JPEG of your work that should display just fine on screen but will not print that well.

Hi Zoran,
It's a good suggestion and I've done it before, but sometimes it's not good enough as it doesn't show the detail that some customers need to see (and that the artwork deserves!)

Instead of physical proofs which I have to deliver and then retrieve, I think that a carefully placed watermark would be best.

And to be honest, some clients would give the other printer a 72dpi image thinking it's good enough and of course my competition will gladly print it for them even at crappy quality.

Thanks

You can give them watermarked PDF that is locked and it takes 10 seconds to remove locked protection and another 15 to remove watermark so it's not really safe.
I do not do design and usually don't have need to lock PDF's but there could be good service for online soft proofing that will keep design locked and still give you high-res preview.
I know there are several expensive services but I am not sure if there is small/cheaper version of the same.
Perhaps someone else will chip in who knows.

Londen, if the client has acrobat, they just select the watermark and then press the delete key, bingo.. gone.

I think your problem has happened to every designer a time or two. Best thing to do is create a PROOF wording layer in photoshop, then when you save as a PDF make sure to not include the layers and flatten the image. That way the file is useless if they try to take it somewhere else. I've seen people even copy hard copy proofs. Also, with the proof give your client a proof approval for that clearly states the job description, and their name and company, stating that if they do not accept the proof that the artwork still officially belongs to you. PM me if you would like some help with this.

Thanks graficworx, this sounds like the safest/easiest solution.

I liked the ability to simply rename my whatever-proof.pdf to whatever-print.pdf because I was ensured that I wouldn't mess up any settings on my export etc.. But I may have to live with this option.

Good idea, if they don't do the printing with me, then the artwork (which they have not paid for) is not theirs to keep.

Thanks

I suppose this can be defeated, but you can disable the ability to print a PDF.

With the PDF file open - under the file menu, select Properties

In the Properties dialog box, go to the Security tab

In the Security Method drop down, change the default selection from No Security to Password Security

Near the bottom of the Password Security-setting dialog box, in the Permissions section, check Restrict editing and printing of the document - I use a standard password for any of my AcroForms PDF documents to inhibit the casual snooping into how I construct the forms or discovering links to databases that I try and keep private.

This is not unbreakable, but it might do the job for you - they can view, just not print.

Hope this helps.

Save as

We use a proof sheet that has proof watermarked on the item(s) and a legal sounding disclaimer at the bottom stating that we own all artwork until it has been purchased by the customer. Basically it is a mini contract with the customer and lets them know that we expect the business if we do the work.
I also do not allow artwork to leave the shop digitally if the customer is not a returning customer. It just boils down to a couple of good practices on your part.
I don't know where your located but with my customers they appreciate it when I show up with hard copy proofs to go over the job in detail with them, it makes it more personal and usually seals the deal when the owner of the shop walks in to discuss the job.
Good luck and I hope you can figure something out. Send me a message if you would like me to send you our disclaimer. DA

Londen, if the client has acrobat, they just select the watermark and then press the delete key, bingo.. gone.

With Acrobat Pro, you can password protect your document. There are different settings you can select. You can make the ddf file un-printable with out entering a preset password.

@ Londen - I guess you missed my post..

@ Londen - I guess you missed my post..

With Acrobat Pro, you can password protect your document. There are different settings you can select. You can make the ddf file un-printable with out entering a preset password.

Yep - that is exactly what I suggested in a previous post. Without the password, you can view the PDF, but it can't be printed or RIPed - nor can you export to TIFF or extract images...

BUT - of course, if you zoom in, you can do screen captures and you can then paste it all back together if you really really were desperate (as some folks are ! )

Yep - that is exactly what I suggested in a previous post. Without the password, you can view the PDF, but it can't be printed or RIPed - nor can you export to TIFF or extract images...

BUT - of course, if you zoom in, you can do screen captures and you can then paste it all back together if you really really were desperate (as some folks are ! )

For your average user that will work, but there are software packages available for both Mac & Win that can remove that password in seconds. I had to do this for a customer one time that did indeed own the files, but there graphic designer had left, and they didn't know the password to a 300+ page file. That was not something I wanted to re-create, and I found a way to remove the password protection in seconds.

Unfortunately, all of the above safeguards can easily be neutralized.

You know, there is always someone out there with nothing better to do than to hack anything and everything.

The ability to disable printing, and most other security features are only useful if they are honest. Those functions are easily overcome if they are so inclined.

Just sayin' is all.

I think the easiest and most standard way to send a digital proof is to create the low-quality version. Yes, details will be soft, but this doubles as both a deterrent and a reminder that it is not print-quality.

You should also not be doing spec work to begin with, this is the #1 biggest problem in the design/print industry, thousands of people creating spec work and never getting paid for it. At the shop I work at, we always get at least a deposit from customers when custom design work is necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back