Direct Inkjet CTP Plates

We recently purchased an Epson 7900. I understand that there are now new systems availible to image plates on this printer (EFI, Presstek). I'm intrested in this technology. Will this eventually replace thermal plate setters in years too come? Im considering installing this system to use as a back up to when my plate setter goes down or, just to take some of the everyday strain off our 12 yr old plate setter. Will the 4 up thermal plate setter eventually become a thing of the past as this technology improves?
Should we be considering replacing the plate setter as it approaches it end of life or is this the next direction in imaging?
I'm intrested in all feedback.

I have not heard of any good results in using the plastic plates that are printed onto using a conventional inkjet printer such as the one you have. G&J has a modified inkjet system using the inkjet printers from Epson or Cannon, depending on the model. But these are heavily modified and use a marking fluid in the printing cartriges instead of the ink. They work very well. Slower to make a plate than a Violet or Thermal CTP so the amount of plate output should be determing factor if this would be a good choice as a replacement, alternative or an addition.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back