DirectSmile versus FusionPro Expressions

bhm8hwcm

I am looking to print some projects using image personalization. We presently do very little VDP and use InDesigns mail merge function.

I am looking for input on DirectSmile and Expressions from Printable to determine which may be the better way to go. They both offer some entry level solutions. Any info on pros and cons is appreciated.

I will also be considering some kind of basic VDP software as well like FusionPro Desktop (or something else). I suppose for integration two Printable products would make sense but I do want to consider all possibilities.

We bought Fusion Pro/Expressions at graph expo for a good deal. We have XMPie but the cost to get uimage would be more, a lot more then going with Expressions.

We find it to be slow, very slow. We have done a few mail peices with it now and it works well but it takes a lot of time to process. My designer uses it mostly and he would have better input then I. If you want to PM me I can get you his e-mail address.

I'd like to let you know about another integration option. (Disclosure - I work for an independent Konica Minolta dealer, and we sell third party variable data applications from Objectif Lune and Prism to clients in our territory. I have used PrintShop Mail in my work for 8 years. I have played with Direct Smile and seen demos at Graph Expo. I've also seen Fusion Pro and XMPIe demos at Graph Expo.)

Since you are looking at Direct Smile, you also have the option of using Direct Smile with PrintShop Mail. A Direct Smile plug-in is integrated into PrintShop Mail's interface. PrintShop Mail prints efficiently; its technology only has to rip the layout and images once and stream the database and merging instructions instead of having to rip every page in your merged document. Our clients seem to get the hang of using PSM pretty quickly. It is more expensive than Fusion Pro.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back