Do we need RO water for plant humidifcation system?

Slice

We need to get the moisture up in our pressroom during the winter when it drops to 20% RH and causes tight-edged sheets. I am looking at Drabbe, Nortec, or some misters. Can we get by without RO water for the misters? Main concern is mineral dust. It's for press and bindery, not digital iGen where we run a Nortec steam unit. Other factor is large format printers that will get this moisture, but are about 100' away from the proposed misting units. The attraction of no RO water is it's cheaper but I do not want regrets afterwards. Has anybody run a system putting out 300lbs water per hour and not used RO or steam?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
We have our misters hooked up through our RO system. In fact we hooked everything up to it, Plate processor, fountain solution. I would think that if you didnt somehow purify the raw water depending on where you live you could find that the nozzles would get plugged and instead of misting they would be dripping. I guess you need to check your raw water quality first Good luck

Good point. Did not even consider plugged nozzles, only mineral dust. We do have RO water but the humidity system will apparently draw too much and the presses would run out of water.

Last edited:
We tried running non RO water in our misters and after about 2 weeks the press techs revolted. The white crap collecting inside of everything was wreaking havoc.

Bite the bullet. Do it once and do it right.

We have been using the Amco misters for a year now without RO. We have not had any problems with the nozzles clogging but we do get a white build up on anything around the unit. It can be cleaned with vinegar and water.

I think ideally we would use purified water of some kind.

Why don't you mix RO water with regular water to make it less corrosive but more suitable for misters

You definitely need purified/decalcified water for humidification. Depending on the humidifier's technology, it may propel all the scale and other debris into the atmosphere of your plant – we learned that the hard way. Now we use regular tap water, then a 3-stage filter and a descaler before the ultrasonic vaporizers.

If you don't use R.O. or distilled You'll have calcium and other mineral dust everywhere in no time. Any humidifier worth a damn is going to have components that will not oxidize or otherwise corrode when exposed to RO or distilled water. Airflow and strategic placement of the humidifiers is crucial.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back