DocuColor 260 Questions

idweblab

So I was searching around the net for an answer to my questions and came across this forum, so I thought i'd register and ask here. :)

We have a DocuColor 260 with the FreeFlow server. My question is can the printer be connected directly to a Mac and print from Quark, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc. without using FreeFlow?

I noticed there was a USB port on the printer and connected it to the Mac and nothing happens I installed the drivers from Xerox but that doesn't seem to work. The Mac doesn't even notice anything is plugged into it.

Am I stuck using FreeFlow?

And the only reason we are trying to work around FreeFlow is because the license expired and with the price of renewal we can not afford it for at least a couple weeks (we're a very small print shop), so we need a work around for the time being.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance

So I was searching around the net for an answer to my questions and came across this forum, so I thought i'd register and ask here. :)

We have a DocuColor 260 with the FreeFlow server. My question is can the printer be connected directly to a Mac and print from Quark, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc. without using FreeFlow?

I noticed there was a USB port on the printer and connected it to the Mac and nothing happens I installed the drivers from Xerox but that doesn't seem to work. The Mac doesn't even notice anything is plugged into it.

And the only reason we are trying to work around FreeFlow is because the license expired and with the price of renewal we can not afford it for at least a couple weeks (we're a very small print shop), so we need a work around for the time being.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance
The USB is for service to plug into your machine for diagnostics. The only way you will be able print is to get a different controller. The bustled Fiery is the cheapest option.
I am not aware of what you need a license for to run the Free Flow Server. Please elaborate on this.

Well when you start up the FreeFlow we get messages that licences have expired. It then doesn't allow us to rip the jobs, send them or do anything. I am not sure what the name of the actual program is (forget) but it's all from Xerox and it came with the FreeFlow.

We did call about the license and Xerox told us our current expired license was for only a year and it will not work until we purchase a new one.

I was at it again today and just can't get the printer to print direct from the Mac. :mad:

My question is can the printer be connected directly to a Mac and print from Quark, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc. without using FreeFlow?

No

There are many other ports; used for service, engineering, diagnostics, additional accesories, etc.

No, there are other DFE options : EFI Fiery Bustled, EFI Fiery External, CREO Spire

And the only reason we are trying to work around FreeFlow is because the license expired

Never heard of an expired license before.

Are you in the U.S.?

Do you have a Maintenance Contract?

Never heard of an expired license before.

Are you in the U.S.?

Do you have a Maintenance Contract?

Yes, we are in the U.S.

We do have a maintenance contract, but they told us that it was not an issue which involved maintenance or repair.

I can't really explain any more on the expired license so I guesd I'll have to post a screen shot of the expired license notices.

DocuColor 260 Questions - hopefully answered

DocuColor 260 Questions - hopefully answered

I work for Xerox, albeit in Canada, but the solution should be the same...

The licenses on the FreeFlow Print Server are annual, but are renewed annually by the service technician getting you a new license string.

If you are on a maintenance plan, this should not be a problem at all. I would place a service call and get a technician to call you and speak with them live about the problem.

Sometimes the call centre really doesn't get how these print servers work.

Secondly, you can not plug in a PC or a Mac and print directly to the device, and you will require a DFE, you have paid for the FF server, and should not have to upgrade anything to get your printing out...

Hope that helps.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance

YAY! The joys oh the joys.....

Most of the questions have been answered, but i would like to address the "get a bundled fiery" idea. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING you have put through the Freeflow is now in a unique format and may not be as easy to reprint any archived files to a normal RIP.
I have an opinion on the Freeflow, but I chose NOT to express it and begin a battle.

Did up your old contract and go through it carefully, i bet there is fine print that defines how this would happen. We like to call it being X-Screwed. Go figure, coming back for MORE $$$, not X-pected.

You shouldn't be getting "X-screwed" and you shouldn't have to pay a thing.

Call your service number, get a technician out, it should be fixed in a manner of minutes and at no cost to you - as long as you have a service contract on your machine.

Call your sales rep or service tech

Call your sales rep or service tech

I am an agent of Xerox. You do not owe any $$$ if you are on a service contract. Get your sales rep or the service tech to straighten it out. If they are slow, call Xerox customer relations and watch how fast everyone moves.

Booklet printing

Booklet printing

I would like to know how much you charge for booklet printing? I'm looking to print a 52 page booklet quantity of 20,000 full color on a monthly basis. Size 3" by 7 1/2" or 3 1/2" by 8 1/2". If you could help me on this. Thanks

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back