Duel Fuser

arossetti

What are everyone's thoughts on printers which have two fusers? I have noticed an increase in manufactures using this technology and I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's. The KM8000, the Canon Imagepress's and I think the Ricoh 901 all have dual fusers for color, but can any of them run their max rated stock using just one fuser? If not it just seems like twice as much liability compared to a single fuser system.

If the Canon is having image quality issues in one of the fusers can you shut it down and just use 1 fuser at a slower speed?

How does two fusers affect printing speeds on mix stock? The paper path for your covers would be different from your text pages on some machines, correct?

Would you prefer a machine with 1 fuser or a machine with 2 fusers if all other specs are equal?

Last edited:
You can't just "skip" one of the fusers on an imagepress because it's having image problems. That said, I almost never have problems with my primary fuser (lower weight stocks and half the job of heavier/coated stocks) and my techs taught me how to replace the secondary fusing roller so if I have fuser lines (caused by different stock sizes passing through) then I just swap it out on my own. Takes about 10-15 minutes once it's cool enough to not burn your skin off.

Not all of the imagepress models have dual fusers. only the c6010vp and c7010vp have dual fusers. The C6010 has a single fuser and it cuts the print speed.

The reason for the dual fusers on any of these systems is speed, they simply can't achieve the speeds that they reach without having dual fusers. This is how they achieve the same speed no matter the paper weight or size.

The major benefit that I see is running mixed media jobs (if you run mixed media, you know what the productivity gains are). Anyway, dual fuser means almost no slowdown on mixed media (literally almost zero). I don't know how you would achieve that engineering wise on a single fuser, or even if it's technically possible due to the temperature difference.

I have the Canon image press 6010 and it is slow on mixed media, having to stop and warm up or cool down the fuser in order to print mixed media for an inline job. If you are doing books inline you should get the dual fuser option in the vp models.
Other than inline mixed media, there is no speed difference in regards to different paper weights.

You can't just "skip" one of the fusers on an imagepress because it's having image problems. That said, I almost never have problems with my primary fuser (lower weight stocks and half the job of heavier/coated stocks) and my techs taught me how to replace the secondary fusing roller so if I have fuser lines (caused by different stock sizes passing through) then I just swap it out on my own. Takes about 10-15 minutes once it's cool enough to not burn your skin off.

Not all of the imagepress models have dual fusers. only the c6010vp and c7010vp have dual fusers. The C6010 has a single fuser and it cuts the print speed.

The C6010 does have dual fusers, it just does not use the secondary as efficiently as the VP series does and so it slows down on heavy stock.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back