dull varnish drying problem

terrynak

we are using INX "OSF Vision plus" dull overprint varnish to seal matte and dull stock . The problem we are having is it is not drying hard and it doesn't matter if we spot or dry varnish the job it still is chalky or wet like. It also dries the same on both of our speedmaster 4 color presses, one is a 40" SM102P and the other a two year old SM52. When we use gloss varnish to seal a job it dries by the next morning or in a few hours. I want to find out if we can add any thing to the varnish to help it dry faster. The ink house told us we can't add anything to it that will make it dry faster. We have only one ink supplier on the island so....... HELP

Varnish that dries.

Varnish that dries.

We recently had a large job for our marketing department that featured large solid areas of metallic silver on 80# matte stock that would not dry hard enough to fold without marking so we got some OSF SATIN VARNISH from Inx... and overprinted the metallic spot areas only not only did the satin varnish dry hard but didn't change the look of the printed job saving us 23,000 sheets of matte stock and making the job look great. The # of the varnish is 1332149-3020. Try it you will be impressed. Larry Brumley

we are using INX "OSF Vision plus" dull overprint varnish to seal matte and dull stock . The problem we are having is it is not drying hard and it doesn't matter if we spot or dry varnish the job it still is chalky or wet like. It also dries the same on both of our speedmaster 4 color presses, one is a 40" SM102P and the other a two year old SM52. When we use gloss varnish to seal a job it dries by the next morning or in a few hours. I want to find out if we can add any thing to the varnish to help it dry faster. The ink house told us we can't add anything to it that will make it dry faster. We have only one ink supplier on the island so....... HELP

Are you Satisfied with your existing Ink supplier? Are there any alternatives?

Hi, David! Thanks for the advice about adding teflon wax to the varnish which I never heard of before. What type of teflon wax is it and how much or what percentage do you add to the varnish? I'm really curious about it and want to find out more. Mahalo again ,terrynak

Reply on CFPrintings question: Ourink supplier is adequate because we have only one major supplier on the island. We don't have many alternatives.

You might also try Grapho drier it is used on nonporous jobs to excellerate the evaporation process. Most dull varnishes dry slower because of the makeup and water pick up ability. One thing to be careful if you use Teflon waxes, you will not be able to imprint over the varnished areas.

Reply on CFPrintings question: Ourink supplier is adequate because we have only one major supplier on the island. We don't have many alternatives.

We run the INX Dull Varnish with good results. I think the problem has something to do with your Fountain Chemistry. Can your Ink supplier help you with that?

Thanks to CFPrinting , Mike LaForest and dana. will be looking into your suggestions. We just got a can of kohl madden dull varnish that we'll be trying on our next dull varnish job. also supplier is trying to get the inx #133 2149-3020 varnish that was suggested by carpmaster. the present varnish doesn't dry hard even when running dry without any fountain chemisrty Thanks again to every one

some how my replies didn't get posted: but anyway supplier is trying to get varnish that carpmaster suggested. our ex pressman in prepress knows about teflon wax, also checking on grapho drier and speedy dry. got a can of kohl madden dull varnish and the draw down dried so we'll try it on our next dull varnish job.

Are you using alcohol sub? One part or two part? If you are using two part decrease your etch until drying time improves, leave the sub alone and you shouldn't notice much difference.

Just won't dry

Just won't dry

If it's just the dull varnish I would have some shipped in and put into stock. Your ink company should be shot for not helping you. Call Dan at Metrocoat in Chicago. This guy will make you the best dull varnish you can imagine. 312-243-3336

i would try not to add anything
sounds like your ink is not alkali prrof, which is a must when running waterbased coating
the binders in the ink could also be drying before adhereing the ink pigment to the sheet, this almost always happens only on matte coated stock

dull varn drying

dull varn drying

i dont believe you will ever get dull varnish to dry as well as gloss or even satin varnish. thats the reason whey i avoid it whenever possible. try a little test. print the same image with dull varnish.... then print it with satin varnish.... if you find the difference is minimal then you need to form your own opinion as to if its worth it or not. heres a little thing to try on the down low. next time you have a client in for a press check that has specified dull varnish try making the job ready with satin and then try to get an approval with satin varnish. if the customer doesnt notice then your golden!!!! if they do then just tell them that your going to try another of your dull varnishes you have in stock. ill bet most wont be able to tell the difference. oh yea and if your a print buyer reading this dont be offended. its all for the greater good!!!! and if your reading this and your a print buyer dont be offended. its all for the greater good.

Last edited:
Awesome product

Awesome product

You want a super fast Varnish that'sd like satin or gloss coating and dries RIGHT NOW. H&S makes a varnish called PRINTLAC Varnish. Try it you'll owe me a beer! My press has a coater but our little 4/c sm52 varnishes solids and unreal dries fast ! Awesome stuff

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back