Duplo DBM 500 - stitcher unit does not return to the home position

Tihomir

Hello,
does anyone have experince woth error E72 on Duplo DBM-500 machine!?
IMG_20240517_131224.jpg

As you can see on photo, our machine makes 2-3 pieces perfectly brochures but than machine simple stuck. When machine stucked you can see on photo in red circle, this is position where shaft stucked. So, this shaft do not returned back in home position until we shut down machine and make new adjustment of DBM-500 unit...

When machine stucked our brochure is still stitched perfectly, but shaft do not move back in-time and whole machine turned into error E72.

Does anyone have experince what we can do to resolve this??

Many thanks for any constructive suggestion in adition!!

Tihomir Vidic - Croatia

Remove the drive of the stitcher heads and run a few books without staples. Heads could be the reason your not completing a full cycle. If you still have a problem look inside the machine at the stitcher clutch unit. Big round thing. Spray some electronics cleaner on it to flush away any dirt/oil. You can use brake cleaner spray BUT WAIT TILL VAPORS GO AWAY AND SPRAY DRIES before you start machine. The vapors can explode.

Hey,
many thanks for suggestion, especially this part with removing stitcher heads. First of all I need to tell that I have bought used machine and really do not know a lot about this, working only for last 3 months and everything was fine until this problem.

But when you tell to remove stitching heads everything works perfect. My machine have Hohner and Magnatek heads, it is 2 different heads in machine right now. I removed only Magnatek head and with only 1 pcs. Hohner head everything works nice. So I decided to see what is happening with Magnatek head because in past I have had a similar heads in old Horizon machine.

So, in final I found what is happening when machine works regular. After last good stitched brochure, stitching head looks like attached photo 1. You can see on photo 1 that wire is not squeezed fine. If I just put new brochure in machine than it will fail and turn machine into error.

BUT if I just move shaft by hand only 1-2 milimeters upward than stitching head looks like on photo 2 and wire is fine squeezed. After wire is ok like photo 2 than new brochure will be fine and machine works perfect...

I have attached video of moving shaft by hand and also video in which we can see wire before moving shaft and after moving shaft.

What to do now, what do you think is a problem!?? My shaft is going up-down few milimeters Obviously like seen in video. Do I need to service shaft mechanism or better to turn and see what is happening with stitching head... I have not so much experience with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20240519_182603.jpg
    IMG_20240519_182603.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20240519_182637.jpg
    IMG_20240519_182637.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 143
  • VID_20240519_181230.mp4
    10.3 MB
  • VID_20240519_181309.mp4
    31.3 MB
Never had a machine with 2 different heads. 500 always had hohner.. That area is the wire grip unit. When the internal guts of the head get pulled upwards during the cycle return that grip should close in most cases. If not above that area there is a Allen bolt head in the face plate. Crack it loose and tap the upper corner of the face plate down a bit. The face plate should be even or a bit above the actual frame of the stitcher head. Tighten Allen bolt and try. If the head didn't complete a cycle 100% on the next one it would raise up that little bit then go down for the normal cycle.
Let me know.

The stitcher head can be rebuild or you can send it out to be rebuilt if you’ve never take one apart. You could take the stitcher out and try some light oil on the slide and move it back and forth before reinstalling. You could also try running the head without the wire while it’s in the Duplo, it could be that the head is no longer lined up with the clincher.

If interested, this video may be helpful if you want to see what’s involved in rebuilding the stitcher head. I like to have at least one spare head around just in case I have a problem, rebuilt heads can be found for a good price.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back